Friday, May 4, 2012

Kids and Dads

Well we finished our first week of games last night.  In typical Ranger fashion, we had to come from behind to win.  After the 2nd inning we were down 3-0.  My usual starting pitcher has been having some major issues with "pushing" the ball rather than throwing it.  I squeezed him in for 2 innings then decided to put my 9yo Coby in.   I've always told Coby to stay humble no matter how good he does on the field, mind you he doesn't always take my advice.  Well, for a dad, I have to say I'm super proud of him.  He threw for 3 innings and stayed under 30 pitches and in two games so far is batting a 1000.    Now, I realize he will have some less than perfect games, even some bad ones I'm sure, but for now, I've been very impressed.  He works hard and seems to enjoy it.  We got mom upset with us the other night for watching batting videos instead of doing homework, but as a dad, being able to share that desire and interest with your son is a great feeling. 

I'm having a great time with my team this year.  I sent my assistant coach the write up of Kristin Armstrong and told him I really wanted to focus on "why" we are out there this year.   Jason is great coach and great friend, all the way back from the high school days.  It's good having a coach out there that really does focus on teaching and I know his heart is with the kids.  It makes life and practice so much more enjoyable when both coaches are on the same page.

I am by far no expert on kids, but dads............spend time with your kids.  Not just once or twice, but make it a priority!   They grow up so fast.  A good example in my life has been Mike Schimmel.  Not only has he been a great friend, but the relationship he has with his boys is something I hope to maintain with mine.  One thing I've always noticed, even with two of his boys in college, every phone call ends with "I love you".   His boys, both military boys, have never been too proud to tell their dad I love you in public.   In my opinion, this is how it should be.   Dad's have to play a big role in the life of their kids.  Dad's can't be "too manly" to offer a hug or an ear.    A teenage son isn't going to come out and say, "dad I need to talk".   A dad needs to pay attention to what's going on.  Like I said, I'm far from being a perfect dad and try to learn from those great dad's around me.  Pride cannot get in the way of being there for your kid.  Listen Listen Listen.  That's what they want the most.  Someone to listen without judging.   We've all been a teenager at some point and most of us can relate a little to what kids go through.  Remember those times of feeling like there was nobody to talk to?    Why should we think our kids are any different?   Be there for them!  Again, listen without judgement.  That's all they want.       

No comments: