Tuesday, May 8, 2012

We play for those who can't


I should be working, but I really wanted to write this while it was fresh in my head.  This morning's ride was beyond beautiful.  The weather was perfect, no traffic, awesome music on the ipod,  gorgeous scenery,  it was all great.
This may sound funny, but on the bike, I find that it can really bring out the emotions.  On the climb today, my mind was going in a million different directions.  From problems my son is having on his little league team (my oldest son), to me coaching my little league team, things related to work, etc. but what really stuck out was a kid named Chans Cox and something he said.
Chans' dad is Jay Cox,  one of the best, most kind hearted guys I have ever met.   Jay works for us on weekends and it's rare that we get to spend much time together, but when we do, I treasure the conversation.  It always ends up being something meaningulAnyway, back to Chans.
Chans is a big, tall, good looking kid.  Like his dad, he's not only a great athlete, he's obviously got the same big heart.   If you have  a daughter, this is the kind of kid you hope she dates in high school.   He's talented both on and off the field and could be a pompous ass like many star athletes, but he takes the high road. 
I believe it was last year and I'm not sure of the entire story, but it went something like this.  After attending a football camp, Jay and Chans were on their way home and stopped at fast food place.  On the way in, Chans saw a kid in a wheel chair.  Not sure why he was in a chair, but I was guessing Cerebral Palsy or something of the sort.   Chans turned to his dad and said, "this is my new motto, I play for those who can't".    What a kid with his head on straight!!!  It about brought tears to my eyes when Jay told me. 
On my second run up the mountain today, legs on fire, and tired, I thought about what Chans said.  How many young disabled people would love to just be out here on a bike.  A part of me wanted to just load the bike in the truck and head back to work, but when I thought about "I play for those who can't", it gave me the motivation to just keep pedaling. 
Yesterday at little league practice we were working on infield plays.  Our biggest problem is that most of the kids are scared to death of grounders.  No matter how many times you preach the proper way to catch one, most of the boys give in to their fears and come up short when trying to make a catch on the ground.  Again, I think of what Chans said.  We play for those who can't.   Each child out on that field, has two legs, two arms, and as far as I know, each kid is healthy.    I realize it's hard to teach a 8-10 year old boy about other kids who don't have the same opportunities, but I think it's an important thing to  try and share.   How do you teach kids to put certain fears aside, in hopes that they see and feel the gratification that results?   I just wish each little kid had an angel on their shoulder while kneeling down to catch that grounder and whispering in their ear, "it's going to be ok". 
On sort of the same note, we have a game today.  A game that should be like no other.  I've been told by several parents though, that the coach of the other team has said that all he cares about this season is beating me.  Why?   I lose games every year and will lose some this year.   I don't see the pride in "beating me".    I guess it is what it is.   This has been the first season that at least so far, I have put every possible effort into teaching vs winning and I'm having a blast this year.    
I've learned so much over the years and one thing is for sure, sooner or later you will run into every kid you have ever coached.  Now, when that kid sees you, is he going to say "that coach taught me a lot" or is he going to say, "that coach was an ass, all he cared about was winning". 
I'm going to the game with one thing in mind..........we play for those who can't.   Our kids will do their best and if we come up short, so be it.     We have the opportunity to play and coach a game, that many kids only wish they can play.   Win or lose, each kid will go home healthy and will play again later in the week.  It's nothing more or less than that.    
Anyway, it's time to actually get to work.   Hope you all have a super day.   Remember when you don't feel like doing something, but know you need to, there are those out there that only wish they could.






No comments: