Monday, October 20, 2008

What the Heck Happened

Last Friday (10 days ago) my wife frantically called me at work saying our dog had been cut. I'm so used to her getting excited over little things, I didn't think much of it. Not knowing what was up, I left the office to go see my dog. She was hiding in the doghouse and didn't really want to come out, which isn't like her. Once she came out, I was to say the least, Shocked!!!!!! She had been cut from the top of back all the way around her ribs almost to her belly. The skin had been torn back about 2 inches on each side of the laceration. It was unreal. I couldn't believe she could be up walking around being cut like this.

Of course this is all happening on a Friday at 5 pm. We called the only two local veterinary offices we have. The first was absolutely rude and let us know how inconvenient it would be to call the staff back on a Friday. The second, Dr. Rowes office, was great. They let us know there would be an after hours charge but we didn't care. The vet was even flabbergasted when she saw the hole on my dogs side. You could see all the muscle underneath the cut as well as a deep hole behind her back leg looking into her belly.


Dr. Rowe was outstanding. She kept Jenny for about 3 hours and gave us a call at home asking if she could keep her overnight and get this.....for no extra charge. The next morning I went in to get her. She was her perky young self. Tail wagging like crazy. She had staples half way around her body with two drain inserted to drain off any extra fluid.

It's been a week and she's doing better. They pulled the drains out last Monday but we had to have more put in as there was too much fluid still collecting under the skin. The bad part is, parts of the skin were torn back so bad that in reconnecting the skin, some parts did have not retained their bloodflow. What they will do to treat this is basically go in and cut out the dead skin and then pull more healthy skin to fill the gap. I told my wife, she's going to be our thousand dollar dog. If any dog is worth it, she is. She's the happiest dog I've ever seen. Her tail is always wagging and she's never been short on showing her love for our family. Needless to say, we love her lots.

No comments: