Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Ability to Help Someone


There have been somethings happening lately that have really caused me to take a step back and remember why I started AOM.   When I was younger, I spent the majority of my time with my grandparents.  I remember my grandmother sitting at the kitchen table going through the bills and worrying either how she was going to afford her medications and/or even going without recommended tests.  Being young and naive, I never really made sense or comprehended the struggle. 

When my grandparents passed away, first my grandpa and then a few years later my grandmother, I was right there with them.   Over the years, I've realized that it's people like my grandparents with whom I really want to make a difference.  People on medicare and on a fixed income shouldn't have to struggle in order to maintain a normal quality of life. 

Just today, we were able to get one of our patients a portable oxygen concentrator.  This allows the patient to go fishing, to go camping, etc, without the stress of taking a bunch of tanks.   We made no money on the purchase but the satisfaction of making this guys life just a little better is all worth it. 


No comments: