Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Gotta Change Some Things.

The other night I found myself cruising the net and reading a ton of different blogs.  Off hand I can't remember the name of any of them.  I came across one that was focused on social media and it led me to this video (let me fore warn you that there a few cuss words but nothing big)  I enjoy a glass of wine every now and then, but had never heard of Gary Vaynerchuck.  He started out (and still is) some kind of wine guru, but in this video he speaks of his ideas on social media.   I'm not a big social media fan, but after watching the video, I'm definitely more interested, both from a personal stand point and a business one as well.   Being completely open and transparent were two of the biggest points that struck a cord.  I have found that as I'm writing things that others may read, I'm careful about how I speak about business related items.  I'm careful  not to offend anyone who may use the services of our competitors or referral sources who may use different companies.  I rarely brag about how good AOM is.  This is something that is surely going to change.  I believe whole heartedly that I have the best team around.  Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt that the employees at other companies care about their patients, they wouldn't be there if they didn't.  I do believe though that  our company as a whole goes above and beyond more than any other DME company here on the mountain.    I will give examples in future posts. 

My biggest down fall while blogging, is saying what I think people want to hear.  While trying not to hurt or offend anyone, I tend to sugarcoat a lot of things.  In the future I'll still do my best not to hurt feelings but hopefully you will see more "brutal honesty" and less sugar coating.

As a DME company I'm not sure how much of a role a blog can play on how you connect and affect the relationships with your patients.  My goal for next year will be to get as many of our regular patients that I can involved with our blog and other media outlets (these don't exist yet) .   I think it would benefit both the company and our patients if we can connect on a variety of levels.  I want our patients to be able to hold us accountable for our services.  If they can find a simple way to communicate their needs, we will likely be more successful all the way around.   As I've told my staff time and time again, I don't want to be that company (and yes we have failed at times) that you hear people say, "I haven't seen my oxygen man since they dropped off the equipment months ago".    Being the leader of this team, the buck stops with me and failing when it comes to service is not an option. 

Anyway, lots of changes on the way.  I'm really looking forward to it. 

No comments: