Sunday, May 4, 2008

Another Eye Opener

Before our little league game on Saturday, I had time to check on some of the blogs try to keep up with. Elden, The Fat Cyclist succeeded at bringing me to tears. His wife has been battling cancer for sometime now and they just found out that the cancer had metastisized to her brain. Their only option is radiation and even then the doctor told them that it wouldn't cure the cancer, but only slow it down.

I'm sitting there worried about a ball game when Elden and his family are facing this unthinkable challenge put before them. Reading his blog really helped me put things into perspective. Between him and Spencer, it's really hard to put any weight on any problems I may have right now.

I frequently find myself failing to practice what I preach. We've got to live each day to the fullest. We truly never know what tomorrow holds. The little things will still be there so don't stress over them. Leave work early to spend an extra hour with your kids. Take a warm bath. Take a longer walk. Sit outside and do nothing.

One of my favorite movies in the early 80's was the Tom Cruise film, "All The Right Moves". It was about the tightly wound teenager trying to do everything right in order to get a scholarship. His free living friend was constantly telling him, "sometimes you gotta say, 'what the fu--!'

So sometime this week when your just fried at work, tired of the grind......just say "what the heck" and go do whatever it is you want to do. Blow off all the demands and chill out. The work will still be there tomorrow.

I hope you will consider this and have a kick butt week.

Thanks

2 comments:

PATTY AKA PISSY said...

RUSTY,
YOU ARE TRULY AN AWESOME GUY! I ALWAYS ENJOY YOUR UNIQUE PERSPECTIVE ON LIFE. WHENEVER I FALL INTO A "FEEL SORRY FOR MYSELF" MOOD I QUICKLY REMEMBER OTHERS WORSE OFF THAN ME AND THANK GOD FOR MY BLESSINGS. I TRY MY BEST TO LIVE BY THE "DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF" MOTTO. KEEP UP ON YOUR BLOG WRITINGS-THEY START MY DAYS OFF IN A POSITIVE MODE. PATTY

UltraRob said...

On May 19th and 20th, I'm going to donate the earnings from my cycling and outdoor gear search to the Fat Cyclist Family. I'd appreciate it if you can help get the word out.