Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mothers Day

It was a good day. We started off the morning by cooking some breakfast outside. We cooked up some good pepper bacon and my wife made some great tasting French toast. It was some special type of bread. Whatever it was, it was great. We ditched church and decided to go on a little family mtn bike ride. I was even able to talk my mom into going. She just got a new mtn bike so what better way to break it in.

My Mom with her new ride.

We went up to the Country Club trailhead which is about 3 1/2miles. Coby, who is 5, did really well considering he was on a new bike with absolutely no suspension. It was a little brutal for his little legs to pedal that far. He's ridden further but not on a rocky trail.

Here is Coby making his way through the single track.

I was very impressed with my mom as well. Not too bad for a woman of 55. At about 2 miles theres a pretty big climb which many beginners have to walk as did my mom, but she said her goal by the end of summer would be to ride the whole thing. I think she'll do it.


Here's Ryan (my oldest) who is a much more advanced rider. How lucky can a dad get when both of his boys share the same interests as him. Ryan's got unbelievable endurance when on a bike. He doesn't know it yet, but I just ordered him a new road bike. He's been wanting one for a couple of years now. I'll be looking forward to sharing a lot more time with him this summer.

The normally 20-25 minute loop took us about 45 minutes but it was a blast having the whole family out there. It's definitely something we need to do more often.

This evening the boys and I took my wife out to dinner. I helped all day trying to clean house so I thought it would be a good end to a good day if we went out to eat. We have a new local pizzeria which all of us love so we opted for pizza. It doesn't help with the diet very much, but some days you just gotta give a little. When it comes to food...I don't mind giving in.

Now we're all at home getting ready to face the week again. Two more weeks until the Ironhorse and I'm not sure how I'm feeling. I don't really think I could have prepared much differently. I'm going to ride hard this week and then take most of next week tapering down for the race. The only thing I wish I would have done different would be to have some big races under my belt. I haven't ridden in a big pack since my big crash last year so I have a feeling I'm going to be a bit nervous in the pack. There's one big decent at the beginning before all the climbing starts which worries me a little. If I can get through that crash free, I'll be good to go. The first 15 miles is flat with that one big decent, then its pretty much 3 big climbs before the finish in Silverton. It's about 35 miles of nothing but uphill and it definitely hurts. I have a feeling it's going to be no different this year. I can only hope to be better prepared. We'll see.

I'm assuming most have read up on Fatty's bad news this week. I hope you will keep him and his family in your prayers. This is an ordeal I hope to never face. My God be with his family through this difficult time.

Thanks for Reading

1 comment:

Sophia Sparx said...

We're all human and as such, it's easy to lapse for so many reasons - mine was mother's day yesterday :( See what I do to avoid lapses at http://chubbygirljourney.blogspot.com