Wednesday, May 21, 2008

We Have a Winner


The first annual Alpha Oxy-Med Weight Loss Challenge is finally over and though participation was small we have some outstanding winners. When I first started this I thought I would easily beat most, but I was poorly mistaken. Big & Beautiful and Pissy kicked some major butt. Now get this, I can usually have the luxury of leaving the office for an hour to go on a bike ride. These two are pretty much stuck in their offices all day and we all know how that can effect your fitness. When I used to walk in the office of B&B and Pissy I would usually find some kind of sugar snack. Now when I walk in, I see fruit. I was hoping to be the motivator here, but these two have really motivated me. Big and Beautiful lost a total of 27# which equated to 13% of her original weight. Pissy lost 26# which was 12% of her original weight. I found myself in third place with a loss of 17# which came out to be 9%. Onecoplover, whom I still don't know, lost a total of 10# which came out to 7% of her original weight.


I learned a lot from doing this. Dieting is hard!!! You can't look at it as a diet. You have to consider it a lifestyle change. You really don't realize how unhealthy you eat until you start watching what you eat. As I've mentioned several times before, Cancer scares the heck out of me. Cancer rates in America are skyrocketing. Why??? I'm not sure, but everything I read comes down to diet and environment. Look at all the crap they put in our food now. Half the stuff you read on a food label you can't even pronounce. I'm guessing that if you can't pronounce it, it's likely not good for you. If it's whole food and free from pesticides, hormones, etc, it's gotta be good. We as Americans are so spoiled and yet so blind to what we do to our bodies. I'm just as guilty as the next guy. It's crazy how little we care. Until something hits close to home. Whether your diagnosed with diabetes, obesity, etc then we seem to take notice.


Just minor small example. I quit coffee on January 1. My only reason for quitting was to help lose weight. On the bike I would always get this major epigastric burn when I held a high heart rate for while. Since quitting coffee, the burn has gone away. What other unknown ailments can we help by just adjusting what we eat or don't eat?


I'm hoping we can get a greater response with next years challenge. It's so cool to see the success of those that stuck in out. They are both out buying new clothes since their old ones no longer fit. That is Awesome!!!


Thanks to those who competed. Hope to see you involved next year. Keep off those lost pounds and keep losing.


Thanks for reading



1 comment:

Boz said...

Congrats to all on the weight loss. Lifestyle changes are exactly what you need to do and it sounds like you're doing your part to help set a good example for everyone around the office. It will make a big difference!!