Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Just Sittin'

It's only been about 2 weeks since I've been off the bike and I can see that it's going to be miserable staying off the bike. I think sitting in my office is worse for my back than riding my bike. I have to wear my muscle stim while sitting in the office just to keep my back from ceasing up while at work. I've been doing lots of crunches and will likely join the local gym for a couple of months. I'm not disciplined enough to do the exercises at home so hopefully paying for the gym will motivate me a bit more.

I will admit though, I did a small local race with my 9 year old son on Saturday. I had just planned on riding with my son and not really going hard at all. It was a 20 mile out and back and was going to be my sons longest race so far. We started out a bit shaky (he's not used to all the other riders) but he settled in quickly. Once he found his rythm he started passing a few riders. He was going really well when at about mile 7 his left pedal fell off!!! We jumped off our bikes, I pryed the pedal off of his shoe and hand tightened back into the crank. I gave him a bit of a push and we were off again. He passed the same people again and again it fell off. Same thing, we jumped off, pryed the shoe, and put it back on. We did this a total of 6 times. He actually finished while pedaling with one leg because the darn thing fell off one last time. I was super proud of him for not getting mad at the situation. Afterwards he told me that he still had a great time. I'm hoping he will continue to find enjoyment with riding and stick with it. We'll see.

My 6 year old (he'll be six on Saturday) is pushing me to take him to the BMX track. The problem is we don't have one nearby. It's a 3 hour drive!! I want to do it but were going to have to figure out how to make it affordable. We've been looking for dirt in order to build a small track in our back yard but so far we've had no luck. There's no way I'm going to spend a ton of money for dirt when after all the stuff is lying all over the place. I just need to find an inexpensive way to get it. We'll see how creative we can get. For now though, were stuck riding in the forests and on the pavement.

That's about it for now. Oh ya, Happy Birthday to me. I've hit the 37 year mark. Cool thing is, I feel better then when I was 27. God has blessed me with a wonderful Life!!!!!

Take Care

No comments: