Thursday, March 13, 2008

162# and Counting


I'm down to 162#!!!! That's 20 lbs since January 1st. I feel better then I have in years. It's actually a bit scary because I haven't been strictly dieting. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely eating better but I could do better. I've still had no coffee and still eat very little sugar.


I think the big difference maker right now is my thyroid medication. I had my blood work done on Tuesday and my TSH is currently .29 (norm is .34-4.82). TSH stands for Thyroid Stimulating Hormone and it has to be thought of in an opposite sense. If the TSH is low that means you have excess thyroid hormone. So right now I would be considered a bit Hyper-Thyroid. The upside to being "Hyper" is just that, it tends to be easier to lose weight. The downside is, if you are hyper for too long it can cause osteoporosis. It can also cause you to be a bit shaky and weak as well which is why I may decrease my dosage just a bit. I'm wondering if this is the reason my legs seem to give out a bit quicker on harder bike rides. I'm feeling so good though that I'm a little afraid of changing anything.


We had a good group ride last Saturday (if you consider 4 a group). It was a 50 mile ride with a good climb at about mile 37. I was really happy with my current level of fitness though I definitely need to start increasing the tempo and muscle endurance workouts. I've got the endurance but the power is weak.


I've been able to ride outdoors all this week but I understand it's supposed to be 20 degrees colder tomorrow and through the weekend. We're supposed to be doing a 5 hour ride on Saturday so it may be a chilly windy ride.


That's about it for now.


Thanks for reading.


1 comment:

Boz said...

20# on a 182# frame is a lot of weight no matter how you look at it. Great work!! Keep putting down the miles, you're riding strong.