Sunday, March 16, 2008

Long Ride

Had my first long ride of the year this weekend and it kicked my butt. We did 86 miles in 45mph wind. It was supposed to be a zone 1 and 2 ride but within the first 15 miles I found myself in upper zone 3. I could tell it was going to be a long hard ride. I rode with Dave who is in much better shape then me and can just hammer on the hills. On the short hills he would be at a HR of 145 and I'd be at 160. So basically he was riding aerobically and I was pretty much anaerobic. The route we did is what we call the Whiteriver loop. The first 60 miles is rolling hills and then about at about mile 70 we have a 6 mile climb back up to Pinetop. I'm not sure of the grade percentage but it's one of the best local climbs we have.

We tend to do a lot of time trials up this climb throughout the year. The average is from 23-25 minutes, with the best being sub 20. After 70 miles, Dave was still able to do it in 23:45. He motored up this thing while I was just looking to make it to the top without cramping. With the Ironhorse coming up, I'd like to get to where the first 60 miles of this ride is fairly easy. I'm hoping I can get there soon. I was amazed at how easy it was for Dave.

On another note, I'm not sure how many of you know Jamie Whitmore. She's a big time triathlon stud who isn't shy about giving God the Glory. She has recently been sidelined with some sort of tumor in her leg. Please keep her in your prayers as she battles against this miserable thing.

No comments: