Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Live Each Day

The word Cancer scares the heck out of me. I'm 36 years old and people all around me are being diagnosed with some sort of cancer, people not much older than me. I'm not sure what the odds are of being diagnosed with some form of cancer but I'm guessing within a few years, the odds of someone pretty close to me (if not myself) being diagnosed are pretty good. Just last year a very good friend was diagnosed with prostate cancer at 41 years old. I've been keeping up with The Puddin Cyclist, and my heart and prayers are with him constantly. This is a guy whom I've never met, but I for some reason feel like I can relate. He's a guy that if he lived closer I know I'd be riding bikes with. I'd be at his house everyday just making sure he didn't need anything. This is a guy who has always put his family first and now comes down with a miserable disease.

I bring this up because his latest post mentioned that when he beats the cancer, his priorities in life will be more focused on the "important" things. Family, sunsets, living life NOW, etc...

Owning and running a business can take a lot out of you. I have to say, I work quite a bit. Yet I still make a great effort to spend daily time with my family. I like to play ball with my boys after school and I enjoy riding with my wife. When I first started my business, I wanted it to be different. I want my employees to have the time to put their families first. I want them to enjoy coming to work. I want them to make a difference in the lives they come in contact with. I want the same for myself.

Boz at Pedal or Die has also been a great motivator for me. Without even trying, his words just strike a chord with me. While driving today, I was looking at the clouds and thought "if Jesus came down through those clouds right now, how many would be ready?" The video below was an eye opener for me.


We live in a world with tremendous sin. We put God aside and just go on living our materialistic lives. Have you ever for just one hour put your thoughts with God and realized how great of a feeling it was? I did it today, and it was such a peaceful feeling. Whether one believes in a Higher Being or not, when your heart is set on helping others, in God's eyes you are a blessing. When I was in high school a teacher gave me a card that said, "What you are in the eyes of God.......That you truly are". I was too immature at the time to make sense of it, but now I hold on to that quote with all I've got.

That being said, LIVE each day to the fullest!!! Don't wait until your 65 and retired to plan on Living. Do it now!!!!

God Bless
Thanks for Reading

2 comments:

bikesgonewild said...

...pedaldork, you are one awesome guy...
...like you, i've been getting to know spencer (sorelegs) just over 'net & while i joke w/ him, trying to keep him amused, his posts always touch my emotions because he comes through so bravely...

...i'm having a hard time expressing my self here, so i'll just say it...
...dude, your offer is a beautiful gesture...that kind of caring makes a difference in peoples lives...

...from one 'outsider' to another, thanks for extending yourself & showing so much heart...i hope someday to shake your hand...

Sorelegs said...

Awwright BGW... I tracked you down. You are not an outsider and neither are you pedaldork. I wouldnt make the blog public if I was uncomfortable with sharing. My sincerece hope is that we all get a chance to grow out of this experience. Who am I to keep it to myself. I really want to take those who want to go, down the path.
It works for me to have you guys saying nice things and cheering for me cuz I am putting in some big efforts. The acknowledgement gets me over the daily hill so thanks.
And Pedaldork, thanks for the offer. We have our medical costs mostly covered with our HMO. But thanks a ton.
I am sure I would ride a ton with both of you guys... Maybe we will next spring.
Spence
Spencer