Monday, April 28, 2008

Update

And we're off and running. Little League games started today. Three weeks of practice and now we'll see if we've learned anything. Our first game isn't until Thursday and we've still got two practices before then but I'm anxious to get started. For the most part, I'm proud of how hard the boys have worked. They've come a long way over the last few weeks. Most teams practice about twice a week, but these kids have had the honor of being tortured by me 4 days a week. Our first game is against the Pirates who I think will be our biggest competition. Their coach is a good friend of mine and he does a great job with the kids. I think most of us do a good job at putting the kids first. I'm proud of the group of coaches we have.

I've got 24 days until the Ironhorse Bicycle Classic. I'm a little mixed right now. I'm between being burned out on training and excited to get the race over with. Between work, baseball, and riding...it's hard to give all three 100%.
On Friday I did the first day of the Answer the Challenge bike ride. The first day is from Phoenix to Strawberry which is about 87 miles and includes about 8000 feet in total climbing. I finished an hour faster this year and felt much better at the end as well. I'm hoping this is a good sign. It was a fun ride. I think I'm going to start tapering down the long rides and start focusing on the power and anerobic endurance workouts.
I weighed on Sunday and was surprised to see 165#. So I've been watching the diet pretty strictly. Today was oatmeal for breakfast, ramen for lunch and a turkey burger for dinner. I'd love to be under 160 before the Ironhorse.


I guess that's about it for now.


Thanks for Reading

1 comment:

Boz said...

Don't worry about your weight at this point, just build your strength up. If you rode 87 miles and shaved an hour off your time, you're not going to improve that much more even if you dropped another 2-5 pounds. The diet will also stress your body more. Keep the balance of life, brother. Here's the verse I've been using lately: "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:13

It got me through Sunday when I was shelled and ready to quit. It also got me through today when I was ready to puke doing hill repeats.