Thursday, April 10, 2008

WTF


Current Weight 165
It's been a good week so far as riding is concerned. I already mentioned the 70 miles I got in on Sunday. Monday was only an hour but it was an hour of intervals. Not much for quantity but the quality of the ride was great. Then on Tuesday, I had to drive over to Eagar to set up a hospital bed. They have the best climb around so I took my bike and did the Big Lake climb. The original plan was to do the climb twice. We've been swamped at work so before I headed up a second time, this crazy sense of responsibility came over me. It's only a 30 minute climb (the road is closed at the 4 mile mark) but I decided I really needed to work so the bike was loaded back in the van after only one climb.
We started little league practice on Monday and have practiced everyday so far. I've actually been pleasantly surprised at how good the boys look. Don't get me wrong, were far from great, but were off to a good start. We've got one more practice today before I give them 3 days off (maybe). I've been told before that I practice a lot and being the first week I really don't want to burn out the kids or the parents. So far I've had a good response. Most parents have been very appreciative at the time I put in with their kids. I can only hope that support continues through the season.
And so comes my rant. We were watching American Idol last night. This was the special "Idol Gives Back". They use celebrities to speak for various different causes around the world. AIDs in Africa, Malaria, The Poor in the U.S., etc... It's definitely a heart wrenching show. My wife had tears in her eyes for most of the show. I think it's awesome that these celebrities give their time to such issues. The U.K. donated 200 million dollars for Nets in Africa which helps with the fight against malaria. That alone will purchase 20 million nets. Now that's impressive.
Then this morning when watching the news, I saw that Elton John did a concert in support of Hillary Clinton. Tickets were $5000.00 each and the show was sold out. They raised 2 million dollars in one night. Hillary is averaging 1 million dollars a day in donations! That's 1 DAY!!!!!
W.T.F?????
How can we have money like this floating around and still have suffering throughout the world? Do these wealthy politicians really give a crap? I wonder how many lower/middle class blue collar workers were at the Elton John concert. It's so frustrating that we as Americans allow this stuff to go on. I don't have an answer to the problem but if I ever have any extra money, it will definitely not go to a presidential campaign.
One more rant before I go. After watching the show last night and seeing those poor people in Africa, how dare anyone complain about America. We are so blessed to live where we do. To have the opportunities that we do. It's not perfect, we could make a lot of improvement, but we really are the best country in the world.
Ok I'm done complaining for now.
Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Boz said...

WTF is right! At the end of the day, what are the politicians actually doing to make society better off?? Keep riding when you can it sounds like you're getting more fit while juggling a full plate of work and family. That's no small feat, brother!