Monday, May 16, 2011

Hola!! It's Monday

I guess it's about time that I update this thing.  I had wanted to leave the last post about Ronan up for a little while just so everyone would be informed.  His funeral was yesterday and it sounds like everything was just as the family had planned. 

As it seems Maya is doing, I don't think we are expected to live in sorrow for the bad things that happen.  In Ronan's case, I believe it's up to us to celebrate his short little life.  We can ask "why" all day long and never come up with any honest answers.  As heartless or cruel as it may sound, life must move forward.  This is easy for me to say when I'm not the one who just lost my little boy.  It's up to me to learn from Ronan and cherish every second of everyday with my family. 

Life is not easy.  I don't think God designed things to be this way.  I believe that over time, we have created this problem for ourselves.  Look at the last 10-15 years.  Have cell phones and technology made our lives better?  In some ways, sure it has.  In many more ways though, I think it has caused us to have this huge sense of false comfort per se.  How do video games improve the lives of our kids?  Cell phones are super convenient, but I'm a prime example of allowing texting to take priority over just talking to a friend.  Heck my mom lives a acre away from me, yet I will send her a text to see how she is doing.  Are you kidding me!!!!!

My boys and I were watching the movie Sandlot.  So far this summer, I'm sure we have watched it 10 times.  Coby says to me, "Dad, how come life seemed so simple then?"   I told him I agree and I too thought life was much simpler then.  Those kids didn't have computers, video games, phones, etc.  They had each other and they had baseball.  They spent their summer at the Sandlot.  They were free to roam the town, create trouble, but instead they played baseball.  Their parents didn't have to worry where they were.  Abductions, drugs, etc. were not even close to being a concern. 

I was fortunate to have the same kind of Lot next to my house growing up.  The weeds were high, but we made due.  Today, there are two houses on that lot and not an empty lot anywhere in the neighborhood.  My kids play wiffle ball in the front yard or in the street, but they don't have the "luxury" of walking around the neighborhood to find a bigger lot to play on. 

Ok I'm rambling.......... Why do things have to be so much more difficult?  What are the answers?  I think in part, we have to change our priorities.  Family Family Family!!!!!  I myself am guilty of abusing my time with my family.   I'm working on changing that.  I don't want to lose touch with my oldest son or any of my kids for that matter when they hit their teenage years.  I see it all the time and I'm not going to let it happen.

My wife went to Prescott with her parents this weekend while I stayed home with my three boys.  Saturday morning, we got up, ate some breakfast, then headed out the door to watch some little league games.  What a gorgeous day.  My two year old Keevan loves to play ball.  He ran around all afternoon on the outfield grass just chasing baseballs and saying Strike One!!! :)   Coby and I played catch while Ryan did some announcing up in the booth.  What better way to spend an afternoon!!

Coby, you have to realize, lives to play ball.  As soon as we got home, he asked if I would pitch some wiffle balls to him.  So, sore shoulder and all, we spent the next 90 minutes hitting wiffle balls.  For an 8 year old, this little guy can swing the bat.  He couldn't get enough, but it was getting dark so we called it a night.  I was exhausted.  I had been in Phoenix the day before and didn't get home until 2am.  Still though, we all sat on my bed and watched Sandlot (yes, again) until 11pm.  I'm not sure how much of the movie everyone saw because when I looked around, everyone was fast a sleep. 

Sunday morning was spent doing laundry and picking up the house.  Ryan my oldest had homework which included making a clay model of the human heart.  Being that I have a degree in human physiology, this was right up my alley.  So for the next couple of hours, in the middle of laundry loads, we built the human heart.  Mind you we didn't finish till 11pm as we busied ourselves with other "more fun" chores.  

Ever since we put the addition on house (still unfinished), Ryan has been sleeping on a mattress on his floor.   So I got the wild idea of going to get him a bed.  My awesome mom came over and watched the younger boys while Ryan and I headed to Big Lots to look for a bed.  We ended up with this cool looking Sleigh Bed (I guess it's cool, but who am I).  It took three of us to put it together but once we were done, I have to say, it's looked pretty damn good.  Ryan wanted to move stuff around in his room so we spent the next couple of hours doing that.  It looks so much better.  I really enjoyed the time doing it.

I had been promising Coby that I would throw to him before it got dark, so we rounded up the wiffle balls and headed out the door.  Little Keev put on his batting helmut and threw some as well.  It was a great way to end a great weekend. 

I'm practicing with my Minor League team tonight at four then have to coach a Major game at 7.  Typically I'm pretty burned out by now, but I'm really starting to have fun again and it feels damn good.  Work is going well, everyone seems to be on the same page finally so things are good. 

I'm sure there will be obstacles this week, but I'm determined only to step over them.  I'm done with the pouting and whining.  What good does it do anyway? 

Hope you all have a great day.

No comments: