Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Perspective

I was going to post something today about my awesome 60 mile ride on Saturday and how beautiful Hawley Lake is this time of year.  I want to talk about riding but it's just not in me today.  Why??

I woke up this morning at 4:30.  I was meeting Ben at 5:30 to go for a quick 20 mile bike ride.  While piling all my gear into the bathroom and hoping not to wake anyone up, I checked my phone for any new emails.  There on the screen was the latest update from MayaRonan had passed away.  Like any tough guy would do, I sat there on the bathroom floor and cried. 

Just the night before, I was celebrating a baseball win with my 8 year old coby.  He had struck out 3 of the last 4 batters to beat the only undefeated team.  While everyone is celebrating, there is this family whom most of us don't know, dealing with the loss of their gorgeous little 3 year old boy. 

I can barely even type right now without tearing up.  There are so many questions that even I find myself asking.  And of course the most obvious is "why".  Nobody will ever know. 

How little we all are.  I've said it a thousand times and I know I couldn't handle losing any of my boys.  My little Keevan is 2 right now and the thought of a doctor ever telling me he had a terminal disease would absolutely devastate me.  If I could take just one ounce of pain away from the Thompson family right now, I would do it in a heart beat.  No family deserves this kind of pain, this kind of loss. 

I think about my little league team and everything we go through during the season.  In the end, how much of it really matters?  Not much at all.  Some of those kids just drive me nuts, some really shouldn't even be on a baseball field, but who am I to decide that?  Everyone of those kids has something special to give if you give them a chance.  Every little kid has a little bit of Ronan inside of them. 

If youre having a crappy day at work or a crappy day at home..........look around.  Put yourself in the shoes of the Thompson family.  How selfish can we be to think we have it rough?  Nobody knows pain, until you lose a child. 


Rest in Peace Little Guy


No comments: