Sunday, May 1, 2011

Time Flies By

Saturday was such an awesome day.  The day started off with Coby (my 8 year old) and I going to the ball field for little league pictures.  After finally getting our pictures taken we headed down to the Hit A Thon which is a fundraiser for little league.  Basically the kids go around getting pledges from people based on how far they hit the baseball.  It's a lot of fun for the kids getting to see who can hit the ball the farthest. 

Once we were done at the little league field, we were both craving an iced coffee from Burger King (yes I let my 8 year old drink coffee once in a while).  On the way, we passed by the high school field and noticed a game was about the start.  Coby asked if we could go watch and who am I to turn down a baseball game.  We headed to Burger King, got our coffees and rushed back to the field.  It ended up being a game between Show Low and Snowflake but Coby wanted to watch anyway so we stayed.  He sat next to me the entire first game.  I was impressed at how much attention he paid to the game, even questioning the umpire on several calls. 

After the Show Low game was over, we decided to play catch in between games.  Being only 8 years old, Coby can catch pretty much anything I can throw at him.  We found out that this was Blue Ridge's last regular season game, so I was glad we were there.  Now the game was even more special.  Two of the players on the Blue Ridge squad, I had coached 6 years earlier on my first Major league team.  Ethan Jacks and Nick Williams, both of them are very special to me.  We've kept in touch over the years and it's impressive to see how they have grown both as ball players and more importantly, into great young men.  Nick is a senior this year so it's the last time I'll get to see him play.   During the game, one of the parents told me that during Senior Night, Nick had read paper he wrote and had mentioned me as one of his most inspirational coaches.  Wow!!  It about brought tears to my eyes.  This kid is by far a better player than I ever was and in the end, he probably taught me more about hard work than I ever taught him.   He's going on to play college ball after graduation and I have no doubts he will do great. 

Me and Nick

At our last little league game 6 years ago, a few of my players and I took a picture together.  I have it hanging in my bike room at home.  In the picture was Nick, Ethan, Ethans brother Sheldon, and Jon Arona.  All 4 of these boys have really made an imprint on my life.  All 4 of them mean the world to me.  I saw Ethan and Sheldon at the game as well and it's crazy to see how much they both tower over me now.  Sheldon is going onto play college football while Ethan has one more year at Blue Ridge.  I heard they were going to try and get us all together for another picture before they graduate.  I sure hope we can pull it off.  That is a gift I would treasure for a lifetime. 

These are the reasons I coach.  It's young men like this that make the time and sacrifice worth it.  I walked down to the field after the game and it took all I had not to tear up.  Both Ethan and Nick gave me a hug and we talked a while about how quick the time has flown by.  What a great group of boys. I feel blessed to have been a part of their lives.  I doubt they will ever know how much they have touched mine. 



No comments: