Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Not For Sale

Years ago, even before starting Alpha Oxy-Med, I read the book, “Raising the Bar”. The true story of the development, growth, and success of Clif Bar. At a time when energy bars were becoming popular, Clif was competing with the likes of Power Bar and Balance Bar. Most thought the only way to be competitive was to be financed by a corporate conglomerate. Power Bar was purchased by Nestle and Balance was bought by Kraft. How in the world was Clif Bar going to compete against such huge corporations?  Clif Bar owner, Gary Erickson, in 2000, was offered 120 million by the Quaker Oats Corporation. How many of you would turn down 120 mil?  Gary did and Clif Bar is still growing and thriving. 


Recently, my values as a business owner have been called to task. Out of nowhere, I’ve received various requests from investors and/or corporations asking if I’m interested in selling our company. Major instant gut check. Am I crazy to stay in this industry?  How sick am I of government regulations? How tired am I of dealing with endless Medicare guidelines and other insurance BS? How frustrating is it to go out of your way to help someone only to have them continue to complain?

There are a lot of frustrations and hassles that come with running a Medical Supply Company. Low reimbursements that continue to go lower, strict government regulations, growing corporate competition, all this and more make it a very challenging venture. Why in the world would I not sell to someone interested?

Because I haven’t even come close to doing what I want to do. I don’t even have insurance for my staff yet. There’s so much more that I want to do for both my staff and our patients. We are just touching the surface with regards to what we are capable of. Clif Bar, Zappos, even Google are what I want. The staff I have now is the foundation of something bigger. I see every one of my current team members, managing something bigger within a larger, growing Alpha Oxy-Med. I see Steven training drivers not only to be drivers, but to be the most caring, outgoing drivers any company has ever seen. I see Denice teaching Customer Service reps how to go out of their way to make the person on the other end of the telephone feel like the most special person in the world. I see Tracy, not only visiting with referral sources, but visiting with patients on ways we can make their lives better. Every corporate company is about profit, profit, profit. I believe in my heart though, that you can put patient care first and still profit. Never ever, will a patient of ours be part of a quota that we’re trying to meet.

The decision to stay a privately owned company is a scary one. With competitive bidding hitting Arizona next year, the bigger companies that aren’t given a Medicare contract will look to smaller rural areas to grow their businesses. This is not something we can take lightly. Companies with deep pockets can buy their way into any market. They can offer services that in no way a smaller company can afford. It all comes down to service. Just this month, we’ve had I believe 5 patients who have requested to switch to our services from another company. This is proof that we are making a difference out there. We haven’t even touched the surface of what we can do. Alpha Oxy-Med is only going to get better and better. As a place of employment, were going to start incorporating more education and more team building activities. We’re going to take our message and our care into more and more homes. I’m blown away at how my drivers treat our patients. They are always bringing up concerns with how to help make a bigger difference.

It’s not about the money (not that anyone has offered any). It’s about growing something that has tremendous potential into something that can change lives. Even if it’s something on a smaller scale, we have the opportunity to make a huge difference on levels that nobody even attempts.

So for now and the immediate future, WE ARE NOT FOR SALE. Give me a Lamborghini and a million for each employee and maybe then we’ll talk.   For now though, we've got too much to work on.  Too many lives to touch.  The future is ours!!   


On a side note.  Steven will be announcing the Flagstaff/Show Low baseball game tomorrow. Tune in and listen.  I think it's 95.7.   If you haven't ever heard Steven talk, the guy is a riot.  Blessed with the gift of gab, he is pure entertainment.  If the radio bosses don't hold him back, he will be fun to listen to.  I just sent him a text telling him that if I hear a plug for AOM I'll give him 20 bucks.  If he mentions how
great his boss is, I'll give him 30:).    



No comments: