Sunday, June 8, 2008

Cherish the Time

I realize I write about this subject every so often, but in this line of work you see and meet a lot of special people. As you probably know I own a small Durable Medical Equipment company. We supply people with things such as wheelchairs, hospital beds, crutches, oxygen, etc.

Anyway, a few weeks ago we set up this elderly lady with home oxygen. She and her husband were super nice to talk to. They moved here once they retired and were just enjoying their time together.

I initally met the wife when I met her upon her discharge from the hospital. She didn't look too sick and I didn't think she would need our services for very long. After we meet our patients at the hospital we meet them at their homes to set up a stationary oxygen unit for their homes. After doing this I thought we would hear from them a few weeks later to come pick up our equipment.

A couple weeks went by and sure enough they called. Only it wasn't the call I was expecting. The husband called to let us know that his wife had passed away. At times like this I become totally speechless. What do you say to a man that has just lost his life parter of more than 50 years.

I went out to his house to pick up the equipment. A trip I was not looking forward to. As I pull in to his driveway, I notice the nice yard, a motorhome, a workshop, a beautiful home with beautiful things. What is a man to do with all this stuff, with no one to share it with? This is when Life is unfair. You spend a lifetime sharing and building a life with someone only for it all to one day come to an end. I realize this is all part of God's plan, but He could have made it a bit easier to deal with. My heart goes out to all of those who have lost a spouse. I remember when my grandfather passed away. My grandma was so lost. It's a tough thing to deal with.

Even with all the hurt involved with loving and losing someone, it's not worth not loving at all. This is just part of the cycle. I think the saying goes, "Tis better to love and lost, than not to have loved at all." It's not easy but I think the joy is far greater than the pain.

Cherish the Moment!!!!!

No comments: