Tuesday, April 19, 2011

5am Ride

So far the week has been going really well.  Yesterday was pretty uneventful.  Typical day at work then two different little league practices.  Today, somehow Newell talked me into going for a ride at 5am.  Realize, it's still dark at 5a.m.  It's also still a little cold.  This morning it was 41 degrees when we left.  We headed up to Pinetop with headlights on and tail lights flashing.  What a great way to start the day.  I really enjoy my rides with Newell.  He's such a good down to earth guy and I value the time we have to talk.  He's one of those friends you feel comfortable talking about anything.  

My back started to hurt by the time we got to Hondah so Newell suggested I get off to stretch it.  Typically I would never interrupt a workout just to stretch, but I thought since we were ahead of schedule, what the heck.  So I pulled over at Hondah and proceeded to do all my goofy looking stretches.  What a huge difference it made.  Looking goofy never felt so good.

We headed back down the hill towards Lakeside and my back felt pretty good.  I may have to humble myself and start stretching on each bike ride.  Sooner or later I have to realize I'm not 20 years old any longer.  If it allows me to continue riding, I'll do whatever it takes. 

I'm a bit worried about how I'm going to accomplish the Ironhorse this year.  I've never gone into a ride wondering if I was going to finish.  I can only hope and pray that all this stretching will improve things by the end of May.

Well, that's about it for now.  Lots of work to do so I best get busy.  Have a super day!!!

No comments: