Thursday, August 4, 2011

Relaxing............trying to anyway

I've been in San Diego for about 3 1/2 days now.  Do you ever notice that when you're on vacation, you find yourself saying, "oh how I would love to live in a place like this"?   After all, who wouldn't want a cool little house just yards away from the beach.  Cool little shops all over the place and all the seafood restaurants anybody could ever want. 

After (Isn't the word "after" a preposition and you're not supposed to start a sentence with a preposition but oh well) considerable thought, I've realized that vacation spots are just that.............they are a vacation.   The beach is great, but the traffic is horrible.  There are people everywhere and a million roads to get you from one place to another.  I have a small house in Lakeside on an acre of land, here there are about 20 houses per acre.  No thank you.  My kids (or even me) can go out on our back porch and pee into the wind if they so choose.  If you try that here, I'm sure you would be peeing on someone else's property. 

Don't get me wrong, I think San Diego is  awesome.  I've had a blast boogie boarding with my kids. Even after sunburning my feet so bad that I can't wear shoes I've enjoyed the little shops down by the pier.  I think it's a great getaway.  I'm just trying not to be naive enough to think that I would want to choose this place over the beautiful town that I'm lucky enough to call home. 

The most cars we may have at  any given stop light may be 10 at the most.  Here you have hundreds in front of you most of the time.   In Pinetop, lets say you have a dinner date at 6pm.  You're safe to leave your house at 5:45.  Try that here and you'll be lucky to arrive by 7pm. 

Something else I've learned and am going to try to employ is the ability to enjoy more of  the beautiful surroundings in our beautiful little town.    Walking my dog, walks around the lake, leisurely mtn bike rides, etc.  People here are so laid back (I doubt I can ever master the "always laid back" trait), they spend their mornings surfing, grab a cup of coffee on their beach cruiser, go to their 9-4 job, get home, grab their dog, grab their beach cruiser, their surf board, and head to the beach (of course this is all an assumption).    Nobody looks stressed out.  Maybe God had me vacation here for a reason:).  It's a lifestyle that I'm sure leads to physically healthier life, but one I'm sure I can't adopt completely.  I enjoy work, but really do need to find some more down time.  It'll be something I'll work on when I get home. 

So if you're one of those that works all the time, take some time to enjoy the little things.  If you're one of those that is fortunate enough to make the most of the down time, I'm envious and will do my best to do the same. 

For now,  I hope you all have a great night.  Will try and post some pics later.

No comments: