Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What a Week

What an unbelievable week. Last week was one of the most emotional weeks I've had in a long time. I can't even remember how it started, but I don't think I've ever saw so many teary eyed people in my life, myself included.

I can't help but get emotionally attached to some of our patients. I know some people preach against this especially in the medical field, but really that's why I love this business so much. When you're in the business of helping people, if you really want to make a difference, I don't think you can help but get somewhat attached to your patients.

About 5 years ago, I helped a woman from St. Johns get a power wheelchair. Over the years her as well as her daughter and son in law kept in touch with me. I was also able to get her this really well built aluminum ramp so that she could ride the chair up into her house.
Being that we have the hospice contract, we also had the pleasure of taking care of her husband before he passed away last year. Anyway, about 4 months ago, her power chair was having some major problems that in no way was Medicare going to pay for. As luck would have it, we had just had another power chair donated to us. I called her to offer the chair and within a few hours, her son in law was there to pick it up. Things like this, I really don't think much about. Things just seemed to work out and everyone was happy. In May, I got a thank you note from her. These kind of things mean the world to me. When someone takes the time these days to send you a note through snail mail, it means something.

As time passes, you just get busy with everyday life then things happen you never expect. On Monday of last week I get a call from her son in law. Usually this has to do with some sort of problem they are having with the wheelchair. He actually called to let me know that she had passed away. I was blow away. I had just saw her two months ago and she looked great. This woman had beat cancer 3 times. I guess the cancer had returned once again and she just wasn't able to tolerate the intense chemotherapy.

Having the hospice contract, I'm used to people dying. There are just some that send you for a loop. After the phone call, I really just needed some time to myself. A few moments alone and I thought I was good to go. The following morning, the daughter and son in law show up with both power chairs for us to donate as well as some thank you goodies. They stayed and talked a while and all was good. Yea Right. The son in law is a big fella. Not fat, just a big hard working blue collar kind of guy. One of the nicest guys I have ever met. I bet he was the best son in law any mother could ever ask for and I can tell his wife just adores him. Anyway, as they were getting ready to leave, he gave me the biggest hug and said thanks for everything. Ok, I was done. The tear gates were wide open. I didn't care who saw this time. These people are the reason we do what we do. It's people like this that make you want to wake up every morning and kick some major butt in the "helping people dept".

Not a day later, the husband of one of my patients, one whom I've had for several years, came in for a simple urinal. All summer long, I had given her oxygen tanks at no charge. I figured Medicare had paid me enough over the years, I wasn't going to worry about a few oxygen tanks. Every time the husband came in, he was always greatful for the service. Again, I thought nothing of it. When he came in last week it was to tell me they were heading back to the valley and with the diaretics they were giving her, she had to go to the bathroom every 30 minutes. Not something that was going to make a 2 1/2 hour drive very pleasurable. Fortunately we had a urinal, a female one nonetheless. I told him he owed us nothing. Just to take it and let me know he made it home ok. You could see the tears in his eyes which of course made wimpy ol me tear up. He gave me a hug and thank me for all we had done. What a great guy. You could tell he was exhausted from an entire summer of caring for his wife. It's got to be both hard and a bit scary caring for someone for whom you've spent your entire life with. I know he was scared for her too. In just the few years that I have know her, her health had deteriorated quite a bit. It's so hard sometimes knowing that one day, someday she wont recover. This is when life gets really difficult. How do you console the spouse. This is when life isn't fair. All the reasons to live every day to the fullest. Live with no regrets. Love like you've never loved before. Look around,do something special for someone. It's what were expected to do. You man not get that chance tomorrow. Pay it forward.

With that, comes the next post..............

No comments: