Monday, November 7, 2011

Winter is Here.

Looks like winter is upon us.  What a gorgeous today, makes it feel like the Christmas season.  I'd love to say I was sitting in my warm office today watching it snow, but nooooo, I was out back filling tanks all day.  Our fill plant is inside one of those big steel containers, you know, one of those things that looks like it just came off the back of a train.   We chose the steel container as the local fire department said it would be the safest way to go.  I mean, if youre going to blow something up, what's better than being stuck in a solid metal container?   The down side, especially this time of year, this thing has no insulation.  It's nothing but solid cold steel.  On top of that, remember we're working with liquid oxygen which  I think is something like minus 297 degrees.  Uhhh that's beyond cold.  Well, when you put cold steel, cold weather, and liquid oxygen together you get a lot of frozen things that are covered with frost.  Ok, I'm making it sound worse than it really is, but after filling 160 tanks which took me until about 6pm this evening, I was a bit frozen.  I had two of those oil heaters going, and they didn't do a darn thing except for run my electric bill up. 

So, guess what were doing next week.......we're going to enclose the entire steel container inside a wooden insulated shell.  That's right, I'm gonna be warm this winter.  This is how bad it got today.  We can fill 20 tanks at a time.  At a certain pressure we spray this "special" solution of leak detector (they call it special so they can charge me 50 bucks a gallon) on the valve of each tank to be sure there are no leaks.  After the tank is full and taken off of the line, we spray the valve one more time just to be sure it's not leaking while the valve is closed.  Well at about 5pm tonight I went to spray one of my last batches and guess what......the leak solution was frozen!!!  So to finish up, I had to go mix the formula with a bit of warm water just to get me through the next few batches.  By the end of the evening, my nose and my toes were pretty much frozen.  I'll be looking forward to my new insulated fill plant very soon.  Maybe if it's warm enough, I'll just move my office out there for the winter:) .

On another note, being that the roads are very frozen, it doesn't look like I'll be riding outside in the morning.  I've already brought in the dreaded trainer from the garage.  I really hate riding indoors, but right now my chubby ass needs all the help I can get.  So at 5 am, I'll be pedalin' my rear off in front of the tv.  I'm looking forward to the next weight loss challenge.  I'm amazed at how hard of a time I've had losing a single pound.  Remember, a few posts ago I mentioned that the owners of my building are going to let me use a suite to work out in?  Well guess what.... the 40 inch TV will arrive on Friday:)!!!!  Originally I was just going to set up the bike trainers in there, but now I think I'm also going to have the Insanity Work Out in there as well.  So for all you folks looking forward to the challenge....You're going down!!!!!  I'm going to woop  you all.  I'm going to fit in my little tiny bikini by next summer:)  That is a horrible thought, even to myself.  There's a nightmare in the making.  Ugh!!!!

Ok, it's getting late, the little glass of chocolate wine (it's yummy) is started to make me a bit tired.  Gotta get up in six hours.  Hope you all have a good night a great day tomorrow. 

No comments: