Friday, April 5, 2013

Making Christ Cool

I started a post last night, but as most of them are it was quite boring.

Last night before falling off to sleep, I was watching an old fight between Victor Ortiz and Josesito Lopez.  I was too tired to watch the entire thing so I hit the good ol record button so that I could watch it later.   The fight was on Showtime so wouldn't it be common sense to think that when I turned the TV back on this morning, the TV would still be on the Showtime channel, right?

Nope.  Instead I hear a guy reciting a poem.  First all I could think of was wow, is this on a cable channel?  What cable organization stepped up and allowed this?   Of course though, once I hit the guide button, it wasn't on the Showtime channel.  I guess that would be like NBC allowing something positive to be said about Christianity.   Somehow though, my TV ended up on the ABCFamily channel.   I can't find the actual poem that was being read, but it was Jeff Bethke who has some pretty good stuff on you tube.  Here's a pretty cool one.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SkZg1ZflpJs?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>


This next one was played at church the other night.  This one got me thinking about all the young people that so desperately need some moral direction.    How do you make Christ cool?  Sure to all of us "old" people, it's easier to see the importance of having Him in your life, but to our young people, it rates up there with carrots for dinner or having to watch the 700 Club on primetime.   Now imagine this guy sharing his story with young people.  I'm thinking they would at least be partly interested, "wow, you can believe and be cool".  

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/K48-Li7lIfA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>


Most importantly though, is just laying the seed.  As parents, as mentors, as friends........living by example is probably the most powerful tool we have.  It can be frustrating sometime as you don't see instant results, but that's where God comes in.   You do your part, He'll do his.     Let's all step up, don't be a part of the crowd, but be something more.   Take the hard road.  Be the example your meant to be.  

No comments: