Monday, April 22, 2013

Relaxing Weekend.

Well our first little league of the season is tonight.   It sure is good to finally get started.   We had a small scrimmage on Saturday and if our performance on Saturday is any indication of how tonight is going to play out, we are in trouble.   Nerves, nerves, nerves.     It's amazing how good a kid can perform at practice and then forget everything when under pressure.   I suppose even as adults we can fall apart the same way.  

I've been trying to get my parent letter written, but for some reason I'm having a little harder time this year.  Not sure why, this will be the 16th letter I've written over the last the 16 years, you would think I would just copy and paste it.    Anybody that know's me, knows that I over analyze everything, even coaching.

This year I'm struggling with the fact that quite often Little League baseball is very little about the kids and very much about the coaches.   Several of us have coached against each other for years now.  Anytime I'm worried about losing to a certain team, I'm guilty of putting my own selfish interest above what I should really be focused on, the kids and teaching the game.    I want to distant myself from the "coach battle" and give 100% of my efforts to teaching these kids.   After all, if you teach the game, teach the fundamentals, all else will hopefully fall into place.    

Equal playing time.......................Sorry but this only happens in very rare occasions.   I'm not going to play a kid who spends most of his time playing x-box over a kid that spends extra time at the field.  I want to see effort and I want to see the desire to improve and learn the game.

I've got a really fun group of boys this year.  More fun then I've had in years.  Maybe because they are older.  This year I've got mostly 11 and 12 year olds and 2 ten year olds.    For the most part they work well  together and seem to get a lot pretty well.

Anyway, we'll see tonight if we can get the nerves under control.  Gotta have fun, but also gotta take is seriously.


On a completely different note, I had a really good relaxing weekend and I so needed it!!!  After the scrimmage on Saturday, my family and I went to have Pizza and Ice-Cream (yes the diet was put on hold).   Then around 3:00, Coby my 10 year old, talked me into going fishing.    We took a quick drive up to Horseshoe lake and pretty much just froze our finger off in the wind.    We decided quickly to call it a day and try again the next morning.

So the next morning we headed up to Sunrise lake.  I've never fished this early in the year and really had no idea what to expect...........that was good, because all we caught was one.   The lake was gorgeous though.  When the wind wasn't blowing, the lake was pristine.
 Then came Hawley Lake.  Still no fish, but what a relaxing way to spend the afternoon.    Coby had never been there and for a ten year old, he was just amazed at how beautiful the scenery was.  I think he wanted to hike more than he wanted to fish.   As the saying goes, "a bad day fishing is better than a good day working".  So very true.  



   
I needed the break and actually can't wait to go back up as soon as possible.  Hopefully soon the fish will start biting.  We shall soon see.

Hope you all had a great weekend too.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: