Saturday, April 27, 2013

Were down here in the valley with our boys and a few of their friends. For his birthday, our oldest (Ryan) wanted to bring some friends down to goto Amazing Jakes. We also brought PJ, who is one of the kids on my baseball team and a kid that I have coached for a few years. I call him my 4th son:) as his parents are super busy so I'm usually picking him up and dropping him off to and from practice everyday. I could write an entire post on the joy he brings to every situation but I'll save that for later.

Today though I just wanted to mention something about the Special Olympics. Actually not even really about the Special Olympics, but those involved.

The hotel were staying at is obviously one of the host hotels for the Special Olympics. There are kids (and adults) everywhere. Those that are participating all have their uniforms on with the track number on their chest.

I don't know many kids that are special needs, but have enjoyed observing many of the kids that are staying here at the hotel. One of them even helped me prepare my coffee this morning in the lobby of the hotel.

I found myself thinking that most of us could really learn a lot from these young people. Whether many of them have the mental ability or not to give a crap about what others think about them, they don't seem to portray it or worry about it. I saw them hugging people they just met, talking loud, laughing louder, just being in their moment.

On the other hand, most of us that are deemed "normal" or without any handicap remain in our own little shell of comfort. Just keeping to ourselves and socializing with those that we know.

Can you imagine a world where we socialize more like those with a "mental handicap?". Talk about Christ like! These kids cast judgment on no one and accept everyone for who they are, loving all those around them, and not being afraid to let it show.

I could sit and watch these kids for hours. Jealous in many ways and noticing a desire to be more socially relaxed the way they are.

They bring a huge smile to someone who although states he doesn't care what anybody thinks, but obviously does. Don't most of us worry about that very thing? If we didn't, we would be more like these young people. More loving, more carefree, more socialable. In many way, who is more handicapped?
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: