Friday, January 11, 2008

Day 11

It was a good week as far as the dieting goes. I pretty much lived on fruit for breakfast, a salad for lunch (no dressing) and a small portion sized dinner. And yes I've still had no coffee. I've learned that it's not so much the coffee that I miss, but all the stuff I put in it. I love lattes and every time I go into the coffee shop, it takes all I've got not to get one. Today was probably my worst day. I took my 8 year old to breakfast before school so we both had a Denver omelette and a hot chocolate. That was actually my most fattening meal of the week, so I would still consider the week a success.

Yesterday I had to go down to Phoenix to have some oxygen tanks filled. I figured while I was down there I would get a ride in. After all 66 degrees is much more enticing than our 40 degrees. I rode South Mountain for the first time and it was great. It's a beautiful ride. Since it was a weekday there was very little traffic which made it that much more enjoyable. The view from the top is amazing, if you can get past the smog. I had hoped to get some pictures but of course forgot my camera.

I've ridden everyday this week except for today, and surprisingly most of those rides have been outside. I just couldn't find the time to get one in today. All my rides have been slow longer rides in hopes of it helping me to lose more of the fat. (Long slow rides are the best way to teach your body to utilize fat instead of sugar). It's tedious but I hope its worth it.

I'm getting my wife out tomorrow for a longer slow ride. Actually I think there is going to be four of us out there freezing our butts off. It's a lot more fun when you get more riders out there for a casual ride. I got my new Garmin 305 today and can't wait to download the info. I know I'm behind the times a little but I'm excited to use it. A friend of mine showed me how to download it to my training program on training peaks.com. After downloading it, you can look at your entire ride on the topo map and see what your effort was anywhere on the map. I try to keep my heart rate below 155 on these slow rides and with the Garmin I'll be able to see how compliant I am. At least it will make the ride a little more entertaining.

I'm still at 177 pounds but I'm definitely feeling better. I've still got 12 pounds to go but I'm happy with the progress so far. I'll write more tomorrow after our ride.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: