Sunday, January 20, 2008

Where Is GOD?

Do you ever find yourself asking this question? I've had a strong belief in God for as long as I can remember. As a matter a fact, I can't really imagine Life without HIM, but we've definitely had our share of arguments. I spend much of my bike rides in conversation with The Big Guy. I do though find myself questioning Him at times. I know there's a reason for everything under the heavens and I fully accept that and respect it as well. My degree is in biology with a minor in chemistry (I know very little about chemistry) so I tend to be one of those with a lot of questions. It is only recently that I'm starting to find answers to many of my questions.

The other day I was following a pickup truck up the hill from Whiteriver (I was in my car not on my bike). There was a young Apache girl in the back and it was freezing cold outside. I first got behind this truck right outside of Whiteriver. As we started making the climb back up towards Hondah, (you could see the girl was trying to cover up. With the windchill, it had to be pretty close to zero degrees in the back of that truck. We finally reached the stop light at Hondah and I pulled in behind them. It was there that I could see the girl crying. She was so cold and there was nothing she could do about it. The cab was already packed full of people. It just broke my heart.

I see instances like this all the time on the reservation. For a while I found myself asking God, "where are you". There's so many children down there living in unbelievable poverty. Were up here on the hill living our cozy lives, there are people down there (many) with very little.

First of all, please know that I'm just as conservative as most that go to church. You work hard, you get rewarded. It's the American way. More and more, I was asking God, "where are you." I've been reading the Bible more this year along with a good book titled, "The Case for Faith". My trust and faith in God has grown immensly this year. Our pastor at church has been touching on this subject as well. He gave a figure the other day regarding how many people are living in poverty in our own country. Then compared it to how much we as Americans spend at Starbucks. I don't remember the numbers but the amount of money we spend on our gourmet coffees alone, could put an end to hungry children throughout the world. Not just here, but everywhere. That just blows my mind.

You see, the question shouldn't be, "Where is God", because He's right here. The question is......Where are we? What are WE doing to alleviate these problems? He has given many of us so much, but what are we doing with it?

I'm fortunate to work in the healthcare field so the opportunity to help arises all the time. We try to make it policy at work not to talk about the charity we do, but I will say (this is the commercial for Alpha Oxy-Med) I am unbelievably proud at the amount of people we have been able to help. We will never be a million dollar company, because we give almost as much as we bring in, but I always try to remember the Gifts that God has given us and what He expects us to do with them. We are all truly blessed. Some of us just need to look a little deeper.

Thanks for Reading

2 comments:

Cycling Phun said...

Hey man, thats awesome. I just REALLY needed that right now, serious! Thanks!

Cycling Phun said...

* Clarification: I needed the reminder that He's here and I'm ignoring.