Wednesday, January 9, 2008

FRIENDS



Have you ever stopped to think how many truly good friends you have?? I remember when I was a kid my dad would tell me that as I got older I would be lucky to count the amount of GREAT friends I have on one hand. As I grow older, I find that he was pretty close. I have tons of "acquaintances" but truly good friends, you know the ones you can pretty much tell anything too and expect an honest answer, the ones you can trust not to tell anyone else, the ones that truly want the best for you and have a deep concern for you, these kind of friends don't come easy.

I've got three of those friends. Two of them currently live in Phoenix (one is hopefully moving back soon) and the other one I'm truly blessed to work with. These guys are each special to me in their own unique way. It's funny because all three of them are totally different from each other. The one thing they do share is impeccable character. I would trust each one of them with anything in the world. These are friends that you may not speak too for months, but as soon as your back together, it's like there was no absence in between.

I think friends like this, God places in your life for a reason. Maybe they are in your life for a reason, and on the flip side maybe you are in their life for a reason. Whatever it may be, cherish the bond you have. I don't believe it comes easily.

Another funny thing about strong friendships is, I don't think you choose them. They just happen. Like I said, I've got three great friends. The first I've known since JrHigh/High School. I never would of imagined in a million years we would be as close as we are today. We survived Jr. High and school together, even survived a college semester as roommates. This guy knows as much about me as I know about myself. The memories we have are just amazing. He has been a real blessing throughout my life. This is a friendship that I will cherish forever.

The second is probably the weirdest of meetings. I had Gross Anatomy when I was an undergrad. (yes we got to cut up dead people) The lab was locked so one night those of us that showed up early got stuck waiting outside. This goofy looking guy, was talking to everyone. He gave a new meaning to the word outgoing. He just had good karma about him. We ended up being lab partners that night, and after class he needed a ride to the other end of campus. In the car I was playing a Christian group called Petra. Right off he knew the group (pretty impressive for a college kid to know a Christian Rock group) so that got us talking about various thing (mostly God). The rest is history. We've been close ever since.

The third friend is truly a miracle. I actually met him for the first time at my "2nd" friends wedding. He's just a real down to earth, God fearing guy. He's got a great family, he's a great dad and a super husband . After I met him for a very brief time at the wedding I didn't see him again until we both ended up teaching temporarily at Blue Ridge Junior High. For some reason we hit it off. We tend to have the same beliefs about God, about character, family, all the important stuff. I'm actually blessed to work with him everyday. Sure we have our bad days (we see each other more then we see our families), but we compliment each other very well. He's more the mellow one at the office where as I'm the moody pain in the rear. :)

I hope others are as lucky as me. I'm fortunate to have these guys around. I do my best to thank God everyday for each one of them. They have taught me about the person I want to be.

Thanks for Reading

No comments: