Monday, March 7, 2011

Drug Prices

As I mentioned in the last post, I've been taking pulmicort for this miserable cough.  I had been using my little boys supply, as it has been sitting around here for a while.  We are almost out so I had a new prescription called in.  So tonight I went over to Walgreens to pick it up.  $179.00!!!!!!  Are you kidding me??? And that is with prescription insurance. 

Now put yourself in the shoes of an older person living on a fixed income.  I'm sure $179.00 doesn't even touch the amount of money many elderly people have to fork out every month  just for their prescription medication. 

Obama care is not the answer.  If you haven't noticed an increase in your insurance premium yet,  you are one of the lucky ones.  Drug companies and lawyers are who need to be dealt with.  Cutting medicare and medicaid is only going to drive up costs.  How about focusing on pathetic lawsuits and rising drug costs.  Don't get me wrong, hospitals and health care workers need to be held accountable for major screw ups, but it today's world, attorneys look for every reason possible to bring a lawsuit against health care professionals.  

We have the best medical care in the world.  I don't think anyone would argue with that.  There has to be a way to make the system work a little better though.  I don't have any answers, but I have no doubts that the drug companies could still be very profitable even after lowering their prices.  It's incredible how much they charge for one pill.  I realize it takes a lot of money to develop an effective medication.  It takes a lot to study the new drug and more to get the approval of the FDA.  But cmon people, are you in the business of helping people or just filling the pockets of your share holders??  I'm guessing the latter.  Oh well, I guess this is something we just have to deal with.  We will never have a perfect world, but it sure doesn't hurt to wish for one once in a while.

No comments: