Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Spring Break 2013

I've written several drafts while being down here in Phoenix, but just never finished any of them.  So I guess I'll just compile everything into this one.

I'm sad to say that today is our last day of vacation.  Our few days of warmth and relaxation have come to an end.   I can't wait for summer vacation this year.  It's going to be a fun one.

So we arrived here about midnight last Thursday.   Christy found this super cheap little house (cheaper then any decent hotel) over in East Mesa.   It has been the perfect little place.  It had a "community" pool, but the thing was so cold we never spent any time in it.

The subdivision is across the highway from Dana Park so we never really had to go far to shop,eat, or just walk around.   It's rare that we ever stay this far East, but it's been really nice over here.

Our first full day here was spent relaxing and visiting a few "touristy" places.   We spent most of the early afternoon at TumbleWeed park in South Mesa (at least I think that's where we were).   If you have little kids, this park is great.   Lots of playground equipment, lots of grass, and lots of sidewalks.  While Keevan played on all the toys, Coby and I decided to throw the baseball around a little, Ryan rode his longboard around, and Christy split time chasing Keev and relaxing.   Funny, it was only about 75 degrees, yet the kids were complaining that it was hot.

After the park we decided to head to the other side of Mesa and visit the Air Museum at Falcon Field.  I hadn't been there since I was a little kid, but it was something that I had always remembered.    I'm hoping my boys will always remember a small part of it as well.   It's just always an incredible feeling to realize what our countrymen have been through in order to provide the freedoms we so often take for granted (ie, me typing in a public place on a public forum for example).


As soon as you walk in the hangar, you're in awe at all the amazing aircraft.  From the little bi-planes of World War I, to the jets of the Vietnam Era, and of course the amazing B-17.   Sentimental Journey never saw Europe during the confines of World War II, but if you have ever seen the movie "Memphis Belle", it will give you a sense of the beatings these planes took.     Until you climb aboard one of these giant pieces of steel, it's hard to understand what these guys must have felt while in the air (not that we would ever understand).   To be sitting in that ball turret while the enemy planes were attempting to shoot you out of the air......uhhhh no thanks!!!

Ball Turret Under B-17

The biggest plane they would let Keevan fly.

The F-4 Phantom 

My dad's favorites, the P-51 Mustang

"Sentimental Journey"  beautifully restored B-17

Logo painted on a Vietnam Era helicopter

Can't imagine ever receiving one of these.  Millions were sent.

As we get older and as our kids grow up, I think its so important for them to learn as much as we can teach them about our country's history, the principles in which it was founded, and the importance of staying true to your beliefs.   Like my kids, I had no idea when I was here as a kid, the importance of what I was looking at.  I can only hope that when my kids are older, they too will understand.

Saturday was pretty much a day of relaxing.   We spent almost the entire morning and afternoon hanging out around the house.  Christy had bought a brutally tough puzzle for us all to work on throughout the break, but I think in the end, she ended up putting most of it together by herself, though I did find a few a pieces that fit. We had found a small park just on the opposite side of the road where we were staying so that afternoon we all headed over there to mess around.   We threw the football and frisbee around while trying to soak up as much sun as possible.   After that we headed to Five Guys for dinner:)    Ryan had been craving it and you just can't beat their burgers.   After chowing down on the Five Guy feast, we walked to other side of the shopping center to end the day with some tasty frozen yogurt.   What better way to end a really good day?

What's a trip to the valley without South Mountain:).   Sunday just happened to be Silent Sunday at South Mountain park.   If you don't know about Silent Sunday, the park is closed once a month (usually the last Sunday) to all motorized vehicles.   It's a great time to bring your family and not worry about getting ran over.:)    We loaded up the bikes, some chairs, and some snacks and headed over to South Mountain.  The weather was beautiful.  Christy hadn't planned on riding, so she stayed in the parking lot and played around with Keevan (I must say though, she made the most of her time, while Keevan was riding around his little bike, she learned to ride the long board).    Ryan, Coby, and I headed up towards the towers.   It was getting warm and if you have ever been here, parts of the climb can't get pretty hot and steep.  Ryan rode up like a champ.   Coby......well he didn't like it so much.   It was his really first introduction pain on the bike.  He is not one to push it very hard.   While I would never compare one brother to another (they each have their own individual gifts) Ryan has always been pretty good on a bike.  He's ridden Colorado, he's ridden Mount Lemmon, he's just been all over, and not once (as he should be proud to say) has he ever walked his bike.   For a 13 year old kid who has been riding for a long time, that pretty impressive.   Most kids would be like Coby was on Sunday and just say, I'm tired I need a break.  It took a lot longer then planned to get to the top.  In fact, Ryan had already started his second trek to the top when Coby and I passed him going down.   Fast or slow, the day was great.   Even better, the day ended at Red Lobster:).

Ahhh Monday.   Monday morning was again spent just chilling out around the house.  A friend of ours had invited us to join her son's birthday party at K1 Racing.   Who am I to turn down an opportunity to drive fast, even if it's in a little go kart?    What a blast.  These little karts rock!!   It's all electric, so you're not gagging on fumes, plus it's indoors so the temp is perfect.   If you ever have a chance to go, I highly recommend it.
Coby getting ready for his race. 

Our last full day here was spent at the Phoenix Zoo.   Holy cow, I think the entire state was at the zoo.  I have never seen such long lines.  It was crazy.  After getting in though, it didn't seem so crowded.   I had to laugh though, if you're ever feeling down about yourself, just go sit at the zoo for a while.  It's almost as entertaining as sitting at the mall.   There are people of all types.  The TV show "What Not to Wear" could be busy full time!!

Keevan's only desire was to see the lions and tigers and to pet the goats:).   All of which we accomplished.   No matter how many times I've been to the zoo, I'm always amazed at the big cats.  Tigers are such a majestically cool animal.  








Which brings me to today :(    My last morning at Starbucks.    I'm not ready to go back to the real world.  I would love a few more day to just sit and read a book.  This weekend is the last weekend of baseball tryouts then we pick our teams on Monday night.  Little League is then on, full bore.  3 weeks of practice then 2 games a week with at least 2 practices.   Every year, little league seems to dominate my entire Spring and Early Summer schedule, as well as my family's.   This year I'm not going to let that happen.  While I will give my team everything I've got, I'm going to spend some time working on the yard, spending it with my wife and kids, and just having a good time.   

Well, I guess I better finish up this Cappuccino and get back to the house.  Hope everyone has had a great week.   I don't think my goal of coming home a little lighter is going to be reached, but I don't think I've gained any either.  One more week for the weight loss challenge.  Dig deep people!!!   
























No comments: