Monday, February 20, 2012

Roller Coaster Diet

This diet thing has been a major up and down roller coaster.  I'm not complaining though as the weight loss is becoming less of a hastle.  A month ago, I had decided to go Vegan for a month.  This was solely to see if I could get my cholesterol down without having to take medication.  The medication was causing way too many side effects. 

As part of my back therapy/nutrition program I'm supposed to record everything I eat on myfitnesspal.com.  Sam, my therapist then logs on to view everything I eat then lets me know what I need to change. 

Last week I get a call and it was Sam.  I got a huge lecture (nothing bad) on how the body regulates cholesterol and that my protein to carbs ratio was way off.  He then told me that the purpose of my diet isn't to get my cholesterol down but instead to minimize inflammation within the body.  He said the cholesterol will take care of itself if I can get a handle on the inflammation.  This was quite hard for me to get my head around at first, but the more I research, the more I really feel comfortable having faith in Sam's plan. 

So now I'm increasing my protein with lean meats, mostly fish (I was advised to keep canned tuna to a minimum, as it likely contains BPA which apparently is a form or turns into a form of estrogen), and he wants me to try and eliminate gluten for a while............and I thought eating no meat was a challenge. 

I must say though, today was my first day without grains and I can tell a world of difference with my stomach.  Normally by the end of the day I would feel all bloated and gassy (I know, yuck) but today I have felt great all day.   I've thought for a long time that I may have gluten issues, but really haven't had the motivation or desire to really try and avoid it.  Guess I'm about to see if it really makes a difference.   So if your husband comes home passing gas all evening, or if your wife is smelling up the bedroom:) , try a little less wheat in the diet.  Your rear end will thank you, so will your spouse.

I'm starting my bike commute to work tomorrow.  I figure it's now or never.  It's only 7 miles to my office, but I guess it's better than nothing.  So if you see some dork early in the morning with a backpack pedaling his butt off, don't run me over. 

I have no clue how many of you are keeping up with the Challenge Stats, but the Hippos are just friggin amazing this year.  I get a new post from at least one of them almost every day.  They're a very motivated group.  Best watch out for Big Mama, she's the sleeper that will surprise everyone.  Dud Horse, I mean Spud horse has fallen off of the radar as expected.  The guy has some sort of weakness, and it's called sugar!!    

I'm not sure how many of you read Aprils brother's post, but hope most of you did.  It's a good story.  He faced the same challenges as we all face.  He did what he had to do to be successful and they guy looks great.   The important thing to note is that he too fell of the wagon, but like he said, you just have to get back on track.  To let a down day keep you down.  Pick your chubby butt back up, don't whine and pout, but refocus on those goals and get back on track. 

Well I have to go load my backpack and make my lunch for tomorrow.  Hope you all have a super day. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Watch it pedalPork !!!!