Monday, April 30, 2012

Big Lake Climb

What a beautiful morning.  I left the house at around 5am to make the 45 minute trek over to Eagar.  It's a busy week but I wanted I to get in one good day of climbing.  The Big Lake climb is by far one of my favorite climbs in the state.  Even with all the burned trees, the area is still gorgeous.  I'm not sure what I was thinking getting up at 4am to drive an hour for a 1 hour ride, on top of having to work all day, coach a little league game, then go watch another.  Needless to say, I don't think I'll have any problems falling asleep tonight. 

The Big Lake Climb never lets you down.  It's steep, it's long, and it just seems to keep on going.   Here's the profile of the climb.  It starts out at around 7000 ft and climbs to just under 9000.  You really have to experience if for yourself to appreciate the beauty of the area, but it's nature at its best all the way to the top.  If you click on view detail below, you will see the elevation gain. 





Of course the best part is the descent.  My goal was 40mph and I think I hit 42.  There was  headwind coming down so that takes a little away from hauling ass downhill, but it's still a blast.  It took my 47 minutes to get to the top and only 15 to get back down.   It's nothing short of a blast flying downhill.  It was a great way to start the week. 



No comments: