Sunday, April 1, 2012

Coaching your own kids.

Time is almost up!!!! Hope you guys are all starving yourselves:)   I've only made it down to 172 pounds, a bit shy of my 165 goal, but far better than the chubby 188 that I started with.  I'm anxious to see what sandbaggers wait till the last minute to post.  I'll post the winners tomorrow evening. 

Going for a chilly ride at 5 in the morning.  I'm so ready for spring.  If we could only have a spring without wind, it would be perfect. 

Oh and AW reminded me that Friday was national cleavage day.  Please tell me this isn't something our congress voted on.   Though if they did, I bet the debate was a lot more interesting than any talk of budgets. 

Little league season is upon us. Looks like Blue Ridge is getting a later start than everyone else.   Things are a bit different for me this year.  Ryan my oldest will be playing juniors while Coby my 9 year old still has one year left in minors (Blue Ridge doesn't allow 9 year olds to play majors).    The difference between my two older boys is something that really hasn't been the easiest thing to deal with, at least from a dad's stand point.  Ryan, likes to play ball, but that's about as far as he want to take it.  He could care less about practicing or even playing in his spare time.  He's got so much potential to be a really good player, but he just doesn't have the desire or the drive to do so.  Originally this was hard for me.  Growing up I lived to play baseball.  It was all we did.  The worst part of summer was when baseball season was over, but Ryan at least for now just doesn't have that love for the game. 

Coby on the other hand is just like I was.  The kid loves to play and as a dad, I get a kick out of watching him practice and play.   Something I learned from Ryan though and I'm not sure I succeeded, is to keep it fun.  I have coached both my boys for the entire time they have been playing.  I think most dads would agree that when you coach your kid, you are usually hardest on your kid as well.   It bugs me to think that Ryan may not enjoy playing as much because of his experience with me.  I'm not sure if that's the case, but this year I'm letting him make his own decisions about playing plus it will be someone completely new that will be coaching him. 

After tryouts on Saturday, Coby wanted to head over to another field to work on his pitching and his hitting.   Who am I to say no to that?    We spent almost another 2 hours throwing and hitting.   It's so fun to watch him challenge himself to hit further or to throw more strikes.   The only difference with Coby is that I'm allowing him to play however he wants.  I'm not instructing him the entire time.  He's only 9, and for now all I care about is that he enjoys being out there.   This is where I went wrong with Ryan.  Every session was a "practice session".   This is no way to make the game fun.   Kids will learn so much on their own (I found this out the hard way).     Just by being out there throwing and catching, repetition is what makes a huge positive difference.  It's going to be a fun summer with Coby.  I only hope that Ryan renews his love for the game.  If not, that is ok too.  I'm proud of the young man he is becoming and will support him in whatever he chooses to do. 

Almost time to hit the sack.  Gotta get up early.  Gotta Ride, Gotta Work. 

Good night.

No comments: