Monday, December 17, 2007

Being a Dad


I've got a few friends that are about to become fathers for the first time. I remember before we had kids, I didn't really think it would be a very big deal. Well that idea changed really fast. When my oldest son was born, I can remember thinking, wow this is my own flesh and blood. I am actually a father to this little bitty thing (They look like a "thing" when their first born). I wasn't really close with my dad when I was younger and to this day that really bothers me. My goal is to have a relationship with my kids, one that I didn't have with my dad. We have two boys, 8 and 5. Thankfully they both love to ride bikes. Ryan, the 8 year old can pedal forever. Coby on the other hand, well a mile is about it for now. They are such a blast. Neither of them know it yet, but we're putting up a zip line as one of their Christmas gifts. Not just some chincy little thing either but about 150 feet of line. They're going to love it. So will dad. Those boys are my reason for living. Every decision I make, in someway usually revolves around them.
My dad was pretty harsh growing up. We definitely feared him. Don't get me wrong, he provided for us and taught us what it meant to work, but now that I'm a dad, there's a lot more to it than that. I want my kids to grow up to be responsible, caring, hard working young men (doesn't everyone). When they were both toddlers, (and I was less mature) I thought I wanted them to grow up being the star athlete, the stud jock. As I grow, and as I watch them grow, my idea of success is rather changing. I do think sports are important. They teach, dedication, teamwork, self esteem, and desire. I want them to know what it's like to compete, to bust your butt for something you want really bad. But I no longer care if they become that stud jock. I hope they grow to stand for something they believe in though. Anything. I want them to believe in themselves and have the confidence to try and maybe fail. And if they fail, I want them to know it's alright.
I guess as a father, the most important thing to remember is that you aren't just raising little kids, but your hoping to raise responsible young men. If I correct them today, it's more then just because they did something wrong, but because I'm hoping to help mold them into successes tomorrow. You know when you hear a dad tell their son "this is going to hurt me more than it's going to hurt you"...... this is so true. I hate disciplining my boys. It kills me sometimes. But it's one of those necessary evils. The coolest part though, twenty minutes later they still love you.

No comments: