Wednesday, December 5, 2007

STARTING OUT

I guess it's about time I get this blog going. We've started faxing over the weight loss challenge flyers and hopefully will have some participation. Honestly what is there to lose (other than weight). I'm currently about 175 pounds with a goal of 160 by the end of the contest.

Not to drastically switch subjects but I had a call to go to the Emergency Room tonight. We were in the middle of dinner and I wasn't feeling all that great. I get to the ER with the portable oxygen for the patient to take home. Great guy about 65 years old. He had been in the hospital most of the week and was just sent home the previous day. He had come back to the ER for shortness of breath. I found out he was just diagnosed with lung cancer. Just when you've settled in to your own life and struggles, it's situations like this that make you take a second look at whats important. My headaches, my work, my son not finishing his dinner, none of that seems to matter when things are put into perspective. We all talk about living life to the fullest, or living each day like its your last, but how many of us really do it. Probably not many. I remember a couple of years ago, (before I was diagnosed with a Thyroid problem) they mistakenly diagnosed me as having a heart attack (another story for another time). That was probably one of the longest worst days of my life. I'm 35 years old and an active cyclist and told I have had a heart attack. I remember my drive home from the office. I took the longest route home and probably drove about 15 mph. I think it's times like this that God is trying to open our eyes. Most of the problems in our lives could be a lot worse. We all need to take a step back and realize things could be worse. Let's be thankful for what we have been blessed with.

Well that's my preaching for the day. Do your best to actually live each day to the fullest. You may not think you have much, but I'm sure there are others out there with much less.

No comments: