Friday, December 28, 2007

New Year Almost Here

I hadn't realized it had been 8 days since my last post. We had a wonderful Christmas. I built a zipline for my boys and they love it. We've got an acre sized lot and it goes from the middle of the yard to the very back, about 100ft. It's been freezing cold outside, yet they've zipped at least 50 times.

I got a cool helmut cam for when I go out for rides. I'm anxious to see how well it works. I'm actually going on a 40 mile ride tomorrow, if I'm motivated to read the instructions, maybe I'll give it a try.

Only 4 days before the start of the weightloss challenge. I'm really looking forward to it. My goal is to be at or around 160 by May. Even more important though, I hope to see the other participants have a very successful challenge. I'm going to do my best to help everyone do well. I haven't figured out exactly how I'm going to help, but I'll figure something out.

As for myself, my success is going to be a combination of long bike rides and a mostly natural food diet. I figure if the sun grows it, I can eat it. The best thing about riding a bike is that it serves several purposes. It's an unbelievable stress reliever, it keeps me focused, it's a great fitness tool, and most of all.....it keeps me happy.

Off subject a little, we were slammed at work today. It's RSV season and it has hit hard. RSV is a respiratory virus that can seriously effect infants. Rumor has it two little ones passed away this past week because of it. We averaged one oxygen set up every 90 minutes today. Every one of them was a child. My 5 year old son has asthma and seems to get every virus that comes along. He was on and off of oxygen all the time when he was younger. Looking back, it was sort of a blessing in disguise. Everything I learned from him, I'm now able to apply when working with these other sick children. I can relate to the stresses and worries the parents are feeling. There is nothing worse than when your baby is sick.

Ok back on subject.....I'm looking forward to my ride tomorrow. My friend Rick is up from Phoenix (he's going to freeze) (it was 3 degrees this morning) and he's training for an April Triathlon (yes he's a triathlete but we won't hold that against him). Speaking of Triathletes, why do they climb hills in their AeroBars??? Doesn't that go against everything physiological???? It makes more sense to sit upright so you can get more air into your lungs while getting more power to the pedals. Maybe they know something I don't. If someone knows, please inform me.

Well I think thats it for now. I'll post more tomorrow after my ride.

No comments: