Sunday, December 9, 2007

Winter Is Finally Here


Winter has finally shown up. And my kids are loving it. I sure wish I had the energy they do. When I was a kid, we could usually count on a few good storms by now, at least one by Halloween. Not so much anymore. We don't get anywhere near the amount of snow we used too. I guess from a cycling point of view that is a good thing, but I miss the snow. The snow just adds to the special season of Christmas. I love the lights, I love the decorations, and the snow just adds to the great feelings of the Holiday season.
I've definitely been slacking off on riding. I haven't ridden in almost two weeks. What I have been doing though is eating. My gosh, you would think I was on a sugar only diet. The other day I'm sure I had three lattes. I'm hoping to get on track again this week, except for the fact that it's supposed to snow through Wednesday of this week. I'm going to start up on the P90X again. I've been feeling pretty much like crap lately. I'm going to start a slow increase in my Thyroid meds. The current dose just isn't working. I've got headaches everyday and I've got absolutely no energy. My wife has been riding the trainer a couple days a week so I guess that should be a little motivation for me. I just hate riding that thing. It's so boring. I just need to get my butt in gear and get out on the road.
I had one memorable ride last winter. The route that I take to work goes over a small bridge near Rainbow Lake. There is usually a little bit of water running across the road whenever we have some decent moisture. I had crossed this water several times earlier that month with no problems. Well I hadn't realized that with the freezing weather the under part of this current had frozen. As soon as I hit the water, my bike slid out from under me so fast. Before I knew it I was laying in a stream of water. Luckily, I had gotten up so fast I didn't end up getting too wet. My outer layer was soaked but I was still warm. I only had about a mile left to get to the office. By the time I got there, my outer layer was frozen, along with my derailleur and cables. I guess it was a lot colder than I thought. Needless to say, this winter I will take a different route to the office.

No comments: