Saturday, December 24, 2011

Merry Christmas


So much is going through my head this morning about what Christmas has become.  While I think that the majority of us still know and understand the reason for the Season, has the younger generation been taught to understand the true meaning?   Even I as a father feel like I have failed on many fronts when it comes to emphasizing the birth of Christ. 

I am not a church goer and don't claim to be.  I'm one of those that goes on Christmas Eve and maybe Easter.  I'm not happy about this, but it's who I am.  If I decide to go to church, it's because I want my kids to have the same foundation that I had.  My grandparents took me to church when I was little.  We attended the First Baptist Church of Show Low.  I can't say I really enjoyed it, in fact I probably learned more about prayer and the Bible from my Grandma than I ever did going to church.  Once I hit my teenage years, I started attending the Catholic church with my mom.  Now as a young kid, the catholic church was more fun because you get to stand, sit and kneel.  Pathetic I know, but it's better than sitting there for an hour.  Then came college.  I found the coolest "non-denominational" church called Flagstaff Christian Fellowship.  Wow, the music was amazing and to look around seeing other college kids really connect with Christ was really moving.  All of this has become the foundation for my faith. 

Christ has always been a huge part of my life.  Not because I went to church, though going to church I think helped me stay focused on my Christian walk.   Growing up, I could always hear my grandma praying out loud before she went to bed.  I always felt she had a one way connection with God.  I remember in college, every time I had a test to take, I would call her up and ask her to pray for me.  I just felt that if she asked, God was surely going to deliver. 

I don't have a clue where this post is going.  From the outside looks of my history, my behavior, etc, I'm not sure anyone would consider me a true and strong believer.  Honestly I'm not sure my wife would even consider me a strong Godly man.  It's not something I wear on my sleeve (though maybe I should)  An even bigger concern is how my kids see me.  I want them to know that their dad has a strong faith in God.  I want them to grow up having a strong faith as well.   I have stumbled and fell so many times along this windy road that God has taken me down.   I will continue to fall and I know God will, for some reason, be right there to pick me back up.  

So for Christmas, even if you don't show it or profess it on the outside, be thankful for your faith.  Be thankful for what we have all been given.   Look around......things could always be worse.  Go outside on Christmas eve and look up and just be amazed at the wonders around us.  None of us have a clue as to what God's plans are, but we can all just be thankful we're a part of it. 

As I mentioned before, I'm not a church goer, nor am I a Bible thumper, but my Faith in Christ is what gets me through.  I sincerely hope you have a very Merry CHRISTmas.  May God bless you with all the peace in the world. 

Merry Christmas. 

No comments: