Monday, February 14, 2011

Hannigan Meadow


Is the weekend over already??  As much as I love coming to work, I could really use a few more days off.  This is even after having a beyond relaxing weekend.  A few years ago we had won a gift certificate for a 2 night stay at the Hannigan Meadow Lodge.  We weren't sure if and when it was going to expire so we made the reservations (apparently you don't need them this time of year) and headed over after work on Friday.  What a cool place. I've lived here my entire life and have never been there.  They have no televisions or cell service so you have no choice but to relax.  We spent the weekend reading, watched a few movies on the laptop, and even played a few hands of cards.  I had a really good time. 

After breakfast the first morning, a gentleman there asked if we had seen Blue Vista Lookout and the Arrow Tree.  We hadn't, so after we allowed our awesome breakfast to digest, we headed south for about 7 miles and suddenly you could see the world from where we were.  Well not quite, but it was gorgeous.  I believe the elevation where we were was about 9300feet.   Someday I want to ride my bike on this road. 

After getting out and enjoying the views from the Vista, we drove a few more miles to see the Arrow Tree.  I'm not sure of the history behind it (if there is any) but it's impressive to see.  I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a bow, but obviously bow hunters are a much better shot.  This tree is full of arrows. 
We hiked down to the bottom of the canyon in hopes of finding some arrows that had missed the tree (cmon someone's gotta miss once in a while) but all we found were one good arrow and two that had been broken. 

Time flew by while we were up there.  We thought we would be bored to death, but in fact we didn't want to leave.  Check out was at 11:00 on Sunday so we headed back and we're home by 1:30.  It was so nice outside that when I got home a spent some quality time playing catch (baseball) with my 8 year old.  I'm so ready for Spring.  I see that we have another storm coming in around Thursday (figures).  I hope it's short lived as I'm ready to start putting in the miles on my bike. 

Well that was my weekend.  I'm ready to face the upcoming week.  We're slammed at work plus I have my final two basketball games this week.  I'm hoping next week to start riding my bike to work.  We'll have to see how that goes. 

Hope you all have a great day.





No comments: