Friday, February 11, 2011

More Kid Talk

About a week ago, I took a box into my kid's bedroom and told them to put all of their electronic games in the box.  Along with the DS games, I took my oldest son's phone, and I also took the Wii.  It wasn't out of anger, but more out of frustration.  Everytime I walked in from work, that's all they were doing.  I know I'm old school, but we were never in the house as kids.  Even when it was freezing cold outside, we were outside playing something.  My kids have more toys then I ever dreamed of having yet I don't ever feel like I went without anything.  In our minds, we always had plenty to keep us busy.  If we didn't, then we could count on my dad making us work.   What does it take for a kid to develop their imagination?  Do you need to force it on them or will it come over time??  I think they develop it on their own, yet if they have a game boy or DS game in their hand they have no motivation to build their imagination. 

How many times do you see a young kid walking down the road, head hung low (quite often wearing black hoodie), and listening to headphones???  Some of these kids look so lost.  This morning at Starbucks (ya it's starbucks friday:) )  There was a family in line in front of me.  A mom, a dad, and a son.  The son had these enormous looking headphones on, just keeping to himself.  Ok people,  where is the interaction here??  Do parents not interact or communicate with their kids anymore??   Step outside your comfort zone and participate in the life of your child.  That's all kids do anymore is listen to their Ipods.  Walk through Walmart and see how many teenagers have ipods on.  

We as parents need to step up.  Do homework with your kids.  Call their teachers.  Eat dinner at the table as a family (There's a concept).  I know were all busy, everyone is.  But your kids are only young once and we often don't get a second chance to keep our kids on track.  Teach them about integrity, about character.   

Have you ever watched the show "World's Strictest Parents?"  It's a show where two troubled teens are sent to spend time with families who are "strict" with their own kids.  When the teens arrive, it is always a battle at first.  They fight tooth and nail not to abide by the "rules".   By the end of the show, these disrespectful lazy teens amazingly turn around.   They learn to value the rules.  They learn to respect the work that is asked of them.     Kids want structure, whether hey admit it or not, they appreciate someone "caring" for them. 

Make it a point to spend time with your kids this weekend.  Even if it drives you nuts, swallow your pride and selfishness and play with your kids.  If you have a teenager, talk to them!!!   Family has got to come first.  Even in the eyes of your kids.  Go bowling, go sledding, do something.  If they don't want to go, make them, they will be glad they went. 

Hope you all have a good weekend. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen to that!! My son has soooooo much and he just wants more and more and more. He has has been an only child for 8 years. I can't believe all the stuff that he has accumulated. He doesn't even play with half of it. I might need to do the same and pack up all the electronics just for the weekend and see what happens. He likes to ride his bike to his friends house but then they just go inside and play nintendo! Times have definetly changed!