Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The System

I'm not sure if any of you have been keeping up with Ronan's Blog, but my heart and prayers truly go out to his family.  I've never had to experience their level of fear or frustration, but I've been through the system before and I see people go through it daily.  Without stepping on any toes or offending anyone, I think most people would agree that there are some amazing physicians out there as well as some who uhhhh let's just say they're not so good.

I'm blessed to have some really good friends who are doctors.  I have the luxury of being able to call them on their cell phones if I ever need anything.  In fact our family doctor, on several occasions has told us just to bring our kids over to his house if we ever needed him right away. When I was going through my thyroid issues, I was misdiagnosed twice before a cardiologist friend of mine insisted on a more thorough test that showed my thyroid function was hyperactive.  I'm not sure how long I would have had to deal with it had he not stepped in. 

The frustration comes with the system as a whole.  Most people whether you choose to accept it or not, are just another patient in the waiting room.  You speak to the front desk people first.  These people don't know you from Adam.  They don't care why youre there to see the doctor, they just want your insurance card and your personal info.  You have a seat in the waiting room, read a few magazines, stare at the other patients doing the exact same thing.   Finally your sent back to your room.  They take your vitals, ask you a few questions then tell you the doctor will be in shortly.  Has this become just a routine for this person or does this person really care about why youre there?  I'm not saying one way or the other, but if your the patient you can tell the difference. 

You can hear the doctor grab your chart from the door.  Does he/she even read it??  Do they know why your there??  Are you just another patient for the day, or does is the doctor sincerely concerned with helping you? 

We've all been there.  I know some docs are just burned out.  Some may just have a bad day once in a while. Then there are those doc's who are just friggin awesome!   They sincerely care for you and make you feel like you are the only patient they have.  These are the docs that make the difference in the lives of many. 

One thing I have learned over the years is that you truly have to take charge of your own care.  Insist on the best.  If you don't get the answers to your questions move on or insist on getting those answers.  If you don't have faith in the care receiving or feel like your just a chart among many in the office, go somewhere else.  There are doctors out there that are both brilliant and still have a heart. 

Now on the flip side.  Are you one of those patients whom are never happy??   Are you going to be happy even with the brightest and the best??  We've all seen these people.  These are the ones that take all the positive energy out of you.  Doctor, nurse, healthcare provider, whatever you are, these people just have the ability to suck the life right out of you.  Bad doctors, bad patients, their part of the system and we all have to deal with them, but wouldn't life be great if we didn't?  I saw a bumper sticker that said, "Mean People Suck".  Isn't that the truth?   Why do people have to be such asses sometimes??

Anyway, back to Ronan and his family.  I've googled all the terms Woody (Ronan's Dad)mentioned in his letter to his doctor.  Can you imagine knowing and understanding all these terms??  This is what the Cancer Community has in common.  They all speak in terms of variable types of Chemotherapy.   I can't even imagine what is going through the minds and hearts of Maya and Woody right now.   All they want is the best and most effective treatment to save their son.  I hope and pray that whatever road they choose to go down, that in the end, they will be a family again with 3 beautiful boys and look back on this and just see it as something that made all the difference in their lives. 

Please keep them in your prayers.

No comments: