Thursday, February 10, 2011

Uhhhh Headaches Suck

I woke up this morning with one of the worst headaches I've ever had.  One of those that hurts all over and the more you move the more it hurts.  Why of all the things God created, did he have to give us the gift of headaches??  It hurt to even open my eyes.  I  got up with the intention of going to work.  I went straight to the shower in hopes that it would help make my throbbing head feel better.  Nope, not even close.  I walked into the living room, kids were ready for school, wife was making lunches, and I was pretty much useless.  Sat down in the recliner and then came the nausea.  I haven't thrown up in a long long time.  Now I just felt like major crap.  When your head is throbbing and your stomach proceeds to push a 1000lbs of pressure upward toward your head, the pain is intense.  I was done for the day.  I grabbed blanket, sent a text to Dan saying I wasn't coming in, said goodbye to my wife and kids as they walked out the door and I'm guessing about 20 minutes later, I was out.   Then as usual, my phone rang.  It was nothing big, but it ruined a good nap.  I must have slept for about an hour.  I was freezing when I woke up so I got up to put more wood on the fire.  Huge mistake.  That sent me hobbling back into the bathroom trying not to puke.  I think I turned my stomach inside out cuz nothing came up but it hurt like heck.  So back to the recliner I went, covered up, and went nighty night again for the second time.   All  of this before 9 am.  Needless to say it was a rough morning.

With all that said, my 5th-6th grade basketball team had their biggest game scheduled today.  We were to travel to Sun Valley (little private school) to play a team that really excels at basketball.  We won our first two games, but this one was going to be a major challenge.  It was all I could think about.  Who was going to coach in my spot?  Nobody knows these kids like I do.  Nobody knew what position each kid played.  I really didn't want to miss this game.  Win or lose, I wanted to see these kids give it all they had.  Fearing that I would puke either driving over or even worse inside the gym, I proceeded to prepare some 3x5 cards for whoever they sent in my place.  Some were notes about positioning but some were personal notes to the kids.  "Don't be afraid to take a shot", "slow your offense down", "work the corner if you can"......each note was for a certain player.  I didn't want them  to forget anything we had worked on at practice. 

I'm so busy at work that I usually find myself complaing about having to go to practice.  What I realized today though is that I have really grown to love this team.  I love this group of kids.  I'm sure that all they were thinking is that they got to leave school early today, but all I was thinking is that I didn't want them to go into this game without their coach.    I go through this everytime I coach a team.  Whether it's baseball or basketball or whatever,  it's the growing that you do together that makes it all worth it.  Try too or not, relationships are built and quite often those relationships last a long time.  Coach John Wooden said, "coaching isn't about teaching a sport, but instead it's about mentoring young men".  That is so true. 

Anyway, back to being sick and our team having their biggest game.  About 11:30 a text comes across my phone.  The game had been postponed due to the 5th6th grade coach being sick!!!  Holy Cow!! What a blessing.  The other school agreed to move the game to Monday.  How cool is that??? 

The headache is slowly going away (as long as I don't move my head:)  )  .  I'm feeling like a cup of coffee but I'm going to go make me some hot tea.  Kids are home from school now so it's chore and homework time.  Hope you all have a good day. 

No comments: