Monday, February 18, 2013

Biggest Losers Slacking Off

Just finished watching tonight's episode of The Biggest Loser.  I'm usually fairly motivated after watching each week,  but tonight I wasn't really motivated by any of the contestants.  Instead, I was more challenged by the trainers.  Jillian, I think, was super impressive tonight.  She lost her cool, but only because she was tired of mediocrity.  She wanted more than anyone was willing to give.  Isn't that what you would want from a trainer?  Not someone that listens and accepts all your excuses, but someone who calls you out every time you try and BS your way out of something.

I frustrate myself with all my excuses.  "oh I'll only do 2 sets instead of 3", "I'll double up my workout tomorrow", etc.  I can call my own bluff most of the time, but why do I even go there?  Why do I question or  talk myself out of half assing something when I know I need to be giving it 100%?   Shouldn't the desire to give it all we've got at every moment, just be something that we naturally do or at least strive to do?

Last week was one of my best "work out weeks" that I've had.   The difference maker.......I wrote down my workouts a week in advance.   I knew exactly what exercises and how many of each I was going to do before I even stepped foot in the gym.   It made all the difference in the world.   This week I'll repeat the same workouts, then change some things around for next week.  

With this big storm coming in, I decided to go for a ride today rather than go to the gym.  My goal was to get   in anything between 30-50 miles.   Guess what I got.............30 miles. :)    My legs were shot and I'm super tired tonight, but I gotta say, it felt great to be outside.  Tomorrow I'll go back to working out in gym.  I am going to put in a little more time on the cardio though.  

I won't lie, this dieting thing is definitely harder this year.  I'm eating better than I have in a long time, but the pounds just aren't coming off.  I'm not naive though as to why I'm having a harder time.  I'm not snacking a lot, but I think I'm snacking enough to keep my calorie intake higher that what I'm burning off.   My wife has expressed her frustrations as well.   She too is having a harder time than usual dropping the pounds,  but like me, she is eating better than she has in a long time.  I think her problem is not the dieting, but  the ability to squeeze in enough time to get some good cardio workouts in.  She has genetics on her side, so I know that once she gets in her 'workout groove', the pounds will start to drop off.  

As I've said a million times, I think one of the most effective changes you can make is not eating after 6pm in the evening.  I realize that can be tough to do, especially when you have a family, but I do believe that going to bed on an empty stomach makes a world of difference.  Try it for 2 weeks while keeping your daily calories in check, and I can promise you will lose weight.

So did everyone have a good weekend?   I was on call and ended up getting called out more the first 12 hours then I did all weekend.   The best part of my weekend had to be watching my 10 year old (Coby) practice baseball with a bunch of 13-14 year olds.   He was invited by the coach to practice and at first he was pretty hesitant to even show up.   He turned down a day of snowboarding and going over to a friends house so I was already impressed with his intentions.  After the first hour of practice he tells me, "Dad I'm glad I came".   The older boys were great with him.   His nickname ended up being "the little one".   These kids were good, very good for 13 year olds.   I was very impressed both with the kids and with the coach.  Everyone was very supportive and I couldn't have asked for a better experience for my son.  I'm sure hoping he will have more opportunities like this before little league gets going.

Well it's getting late, so I'm going to call it a night.







No comments: