Tuesday, February 5, 2013

No clue as the what to title this.

Ugh, fighting a cold today.  I knew it was going to catch me sooner or later.  My entire family has been dealing with it, but I've been lucky until now.  My head feels like it's in a vice and no amount of tylenol is going to work.   I'm thinking maybe my grandma's old whiskey and honey concoction.  Not sure the patients would be too happy with whiskey on the breath though:).

Well, day one of only fruits and veggies went extremely well.  I actually didn't crave anything at all.  Today I brought a variety of stuff.  Grapes, red peppers, celery, carrots, and an apple.   I think I'm going to run down to the health food store for lunch and grab some tomato soup.  It's actually really good and doesn't contain a million milligrams of sodium.

I spent about 2 hours last night studying for my nutrition class.  So far, most of it is review with the exception of a few things.  Cellular structure, the way things move in and out of the cell, all that good stuff.  It brings back nightmares of college though.   I remember one semester I had, human physiology, parasitology, and biochemistry all on the same day.  It was brutal.  I loved the physiology class, and biochem wasn't too bad (the only thing I remember from that class is the Krebs Cycle), but parasitology was torture.   What did I learn from parasitology........cook your meat!!!:)   The amount of parasites in the different types of fish is crazy.   I also learned about the one that enters the skin through the feet (people who used to have outhouses were the biggest victims), we saw pictures of people pulling these things out not by the inch, but by the foot (no pun intended).  Completely gross.  Or the one that you can see cruise through a persons eyeball.  Ya, like I said, cook your meat, and wear shoes to the outhouse:) .

I mentioned the other day how much I jump around subjects.  Just look at the paragraph above.  I started talking about my nutrition, then my college classes, then parasites:).    Cmon ya gotta keep up.    Brings to mind another class I had..........technical writing.   As you can see, I didn't learn a damn thing:).    

Oh, guess what I learned yesterday.  Did you know that when a company submits information to the FDA, such as a study to prove their product is safe or something of the sort.   All the FDA does is evaluate the study.  They do NO study of their own.    So basically when Pepsi introduces their study that the plastic in bottled water is safe, it's their own study!!  HELLO!!! McFly!!!!!!  Of course they're going to say it's safe!!

I was watching an old congressional meeting yesterday where John Kerry is just ripping into the head of the FDA.   Now I'm not a Kerry fan, but I gotta say, he definitely had the public's interest at heart.     All I can say, is that you can be as naive as you want, but even it's for the sake of supporting your local economy, if you have a farmers market or access to one, support it.   I'm sure most of you aren't as pathetically interested in doing the research like I am (I know I need to get a life), but every time we buy all this crap food, we're just saying, "ya it's ok, I'm too tired to give a crap what you put in my food, heck everyone else is eating it".   Buy FRESH!!!

When people eat good, you never hear them say, "dang I miss the day's where I ate like crap and felt even crappier".   It's a given, when you exercise and eat nutritionally dense foods, you are going to feel better.   As        
I've said a million times, it has to become a lifestyle.  Eating is a habit, most of us all love to do it, but typically we would be just as happy with a bunch of grapes as we would a snickers bar.  Sure, it's ok to get that sugar rush every once in while, but for the most part, make an effort to choose healthier foods.   It's funny, I'm not a big apple fan, but if I slice it, I seem to enjoy it more.  How dumb is that?   Whatever works though.

Ok, time to get to work.  Gonna go find some tylenol.  Have a super day.

No comments: