Saturday, February 23, 2013

McDonalds Coffee Case

Woman sues McDonalds for millions after spilling hot coffee on her lap and wins!!

If you're like me you instantly thought this was just insane.  You thought is was just another typical crazy judgement by some crazy jury who believed some woman deserves millions for simply spilling a cup of coffee in her lap while driving.

I'm guessing that the majority of Americans who saw this story, instantly had their own opinions about the story.  Do you believe in the power of the media?   

My wife and I watched the documentary "Hot Coffee" this morning.   I feel like such a hypocritical fool. 
Were you like me and thought the following:
"The lady was middle aged just wanting millions for something stupid"
"The lady was driving while holding a cup of coffee between her legs"
"Just another frivolous lawsuit"

Well I thought all of the above........................and I was wrong beyond belief. 

The lady was 81 years old, she wasn't driving, and originally all she wanted was her doctors bills paid for.   McDonalds offered her 800.00 bucks!!

I'm only going to post one picture because the others are rather graphic, but I will post the links to the other pics.   Now imagine this is your grandmother, a parent, or even worse, a child.  How would you feel then.



The documentary is a very interesting film regarding tort reform and corporate influence on the legal system.  There's got to be away to justify lawsuits/awards for citizens that suffer irrepairable damage yet also be able to keep out the pathetic self serving, sue happy people that want only to sue for reasons that don't even come close to justifying any time in court. 

The jury award Ms. Liebeck 2.7 million dollars.  In the end, after appeals, she left with an undisclosed amount of less than $600,000.  

I'm not a big fan of attorneys but this is a pretty informative site.

Do we ever know the entire story?










No comments: