Sunday, February 24, 2013

Motivation

It's nothing for me to become a bit emotional when watching an athlete perform at his or her best.  I'm moved to see someone who has given all they have in practice give it their all on the field, in the gym, or on the mat. 

I think athletics can teach us so much about everyday life.  Typically you get what you give, meaning if you bust your ass in practice youre going to perform well when it's time for competition.  The same goes for life.  If you give it all you've got, I can almost guarantee that the rewards are going to be exceptional. 

During the olympics, it's typical of me to have tears in my eyes (yes, I'm a softy) when watching gymnastics, figure skating (yes I said figure skating), and wrestling.   For some reason, these sports are the epitome of someone sacrificing everything they have for a few moments in time to be their best.  

This past week, I watched a documentary called "First Position".  It's a film that followed several young ballet dancers striving to win at I guess one of the biggest competitions called "The Grand Prix".  Now I'm not a ballet fan, but to see what these kids put into their art was nothing short of amazing.  Their ability to move like most of us couldn't do on our best day, their willingness to dance through injury and pain in order to reach the pinnacle of their young careers, is just amazing.   While the majority of kids are at home playing xbox, these kids spend every waking hour perfecting their routines. 

The same goes for wrestlers, fighters, gymnasts, and skaters (and every other sport you can think of ).   At the end of the day, the podium usually represents those that have worked the hardest, those that have put in the most hours and those that have sacrificed the most.   These are typically young people that have set goals at a very young age to be the very best.  

I've got a few songs on my Ipod that I'm going to post here that remind me of all the work these athletes put in. 

Unless your and 80's kid, you will likely not know a few of these.  This first one is from my favorite movie of all time, VisionQuest.   A wrestler coming of age, shooting for a state championship, and yes of course falling for a hot chick. 

You have to let this one play for a few seconds before the actual song gets going. 

Lunatic Fringe

Does your son have a love for baseball; I love this video:

The Grind

This one I love because of John Orozco of the US Gymnastics Team.  What a story!!  Coming from the Bronx, this kid stepped up and made something of himself.  Win or lose, you have no doubts this kid will be successful.

The Fighter

This one I love because it's all about putting in your time, not looking at the past, but moving forward.

My Time

And of course, where would you be without a little Rocky music.

Burning Heart

I don't have this next one on my Ipod, but if I can find it, I'm going to put in on there asap.  Pretty cool music.  (a few cuss words, thank you Al Pacino)
Motivation


Have a super week this week.  If your part of the weight loss challenge and your having trouble staying motivated, make this week a new start.  Visualize yourself reaching those goals.  Baby steps people!  Believe me, I fail with my diet all the time, but I'm determined to be in the top 5 of this thing.   Dig deep people and commit to a plan.  Move forward!!!

No comments: