Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Good day on the mats.

A few days ago,  I mentioned that I do better when I write down my workouts a week ahead of time.  This way, I know exactly what I'm going to do when I get to the gym.   Well so far this week, I have completely failed with regards to that plan.  Monday's workout consisted of a 2 hour bike ride instead of going to the gym.  Yesterday, the plan was to do some bag work, then do chest and tri's.    Jay happened to get there at the same time I did so we thought we would spar a little with the boxing gloves.  A short sparring session turned into almost two hours of boxing and wrestling.  

I've been working hard on my left jab and right hook so I was hoping to see some improvement with my boxing.  I felt much better than last time, but Jay still probably landed 75% more punches than I did.  My face has all the marks to prove it.  He's a good teacher and thankfully, most of the time he's pretty patient.  I do have to say, that when I do land a good punch, he gets this look in his eye like "oh you want to play that way do ya", and honestly, that scares the crap out of me.

 I know I would improve greatly if only I would relax.  At the beginning of every round I can feel my heart rate climb like crazy even before any punches are thrown.   Getting hit is just part of it, but honestly, it really sucks sometimes.  It's frustrating when I know I'm better then the level I'm actually performing at.  It's just going to take more time with the gloves on.  I do have to give myself kuddos though.......I finally gave Jay a bloody nose before he bloodied mine. Stupid I know, but I was pretty proud.

We then moved on to grappling.  If you don't know, grappling involves the fingerless gloves they use in UFC fights.  There's very little padding and they hurt a lot more when you get hit.  For the most part, we usually work mostly on wrestling and submission holds and throw very few punches, and even when we do hit, we don't usually hit hard.  Yesterday was no exception, but we wrestled for at least an hour, got a few cheap shots in, and had plenty of laughs.  It's pretty much a 41 year old and 50 year old trying to prove they aren't really old yet.  By the time we were done, I had one black eye, a bloody lip, and a bruised forehead.  Pretty pathetic huh?:)  As bad as it looked, I knew it was going to feel a lot worse later.  

By evening time, I was so unbelievably sore.  As soon as my wife saw me, she said, "oh my gosh what happened to you" and after an hour of sitting on the couch, ugh! I hurt all over.  Getting up was an entirely trying and painful task.  This was nothing compared to what the following morning would hold...........................

This morning, the eye was black, part of the lip is black and blue, and the normally simple feat of washing my hair was unbelievably painful.  My shoulders had no intent of being lifted high enough to complete the task.  If it didn't hurt so bad, it would have been funny as heck.  I had to bend my head down and meet my hands half way:).  

All of this, and believe it or not, I can't wait to do it again.


No comments: