Saturday, February 2, 2013

Moby Dick

This morning I got one of the best responses to my question :  According to a recent study, 42% of Americans are doomed to become obese by 2030.  Why???

It was definitely not the response I was expecting, but something that really made me think, on so many different levels.  

Before I post the link to the response, I wanted to say a few things.  Newell has become one of my best friends over the years.  His family has been through so much.  My heart goes out to him not only as a friend, but a father.   I can give him all the advice in the world, but until one goes through what he has and is going through, I'm not sure anyone can really relate.  You can talk about Faith all day long, but when your child is diagnosed with such a horrible disease, this is when true Faith is really put to the test.  I knew nothing of Mitochondrial disease until I learned that 3 of Newell's kids were diagnosed with it.  I could never really relate what these kids go through until Newell asked me to participate in an upcoming project he's putting together.  Since I don't have permission yet to discuss it, I'll just skim the basics.   It will involve some of us on our bikes, going all out until we hit our lactate threshold.    It wasn't until I was asked to help that I realized this is what these kids feel with just very little exertion.  While I complain about "feeling" old, these kids feel it daily.  Some are worse than others, but I just can't imagine it.   As most child diseases are, this too is very underfunded and understudied.  It leaves many of the parents doing their own research while costing an astronomical amount for treatments that have been unproven.  

Anyway, instead of posting his response here, I'm just going to post a link to his blog.  Please take some time to read.  And if all you can do is keep him and his family in your prayers, please do so.  

http://www.ndbelnap.com/2013/02/today-i-will-eat-moby-dick.html


No comments: