Friday, January 28, 2011

Can a Physical Therapist be an Angel??

Yesterday afternoon just got better and better.  As I mentioned earlier, I was getting really frustrated with my shoulder.  I never had an MRI but in a quick exam the doc thought maybe it was a torn rotator cuff.  He told me that I should try physical therapy first and if that didn't work we would move forward with more scans and go from there. 

I had stopped by Sierra Blanca to pick up some concentrators.  Earlier my mom and mentioned that Mark (the physical therapist) wanted to see me about my shoulder.   So I stopped by the physical therapy dept.   I wasn't expecting much but got 1000 times more.  Mark stopped everything he was doing and did a complete evaluation. He had me do a variety of different movements and exercises.  By the time we were finished he told me he didn't think I had torn anything.  He said that if I had, I never would have been able to do some of the exercises he had me doing.  Instead, he thinks that I have a really bad case of bursitis. HOLY COW are you kidding me!!!??   I was elated to think that surgery was not in my future.  I've got a bunch of exercises to do along with Electrical Muscle Stimulation 3 times daily, but I'll take that any day over surgery. 

We weren't finished.  I've been to over 10 doctors regarding my back.  I've had physical therapy, I've had injections, nothing really worked .  Finally Dr. Wiley concluded it was an SI joint problem.  I believe I mentioned earlier that I've been working with Richard DonTigny (physical therapist) from Montana (via online) on correction exercises for my pelvis.  He has helped tremendously, but there's only so much you can do on you own. 

First, let me tell you a little more about the real issue, and hopefully by the end you wont think I'm something like the elephant man.  Remember, I was a farrier for 12 years.  Bent over for 8-10 hours a day under a 1000lb animal will take it's toll over time.  What happened with me is that my lower back muscles were so strong and my abs so weak, my back muscles actually pulled my pelvis upwards in the back.  This in turn impinges all the nerves in the lower back when then causes major muscle spasms.  The pain is just miserable.   I can't hardly sit for very long, nor can I stand for very long.  It has been a miserable few years. 

Anyway, when Mark was finished with my arm, I asked if he had any experience with an Anteriorly Rotated Pelvis.  I've asked this question to several other physical therapists and they had no clue what I was talking about.  Mark on the other hand was full of information.  His knowledge of  every muscle and ligament in the pelvis was truly impressive.     He started a whole new exam.  Mark explained everything in detail and tole me everything that needed to be done. 

I've had xrays done of my back and pelvis and my right hip is elevated almost 1 inch higher than my left. This just puts a major kink in my lower back.


It looks sort of like the picture above but it's not due to a leg length discrepancy, but rather a rotated pelvis.  And of course with me it's never that simple.  The right side of my pelvis is rotated anteriorly and the left is rotated posteriorly.  Don't even try to picture that.  Mark was impressively knowledgeable, in fact he told me just treated a young mother with the exact same thing.  He said that after a 45 minute treatment, her pelvis was level.  Mr. DonTigny told me this was possible, but on my own I just haven't been able to achieve it.  Wow!!!!!   Now I'm not expecting a miracle by any means but just to be treated by someone that actually knows the problem will be huge.  The thought of riding my bike with no leg pain or low back pain, wow!! My first treatment is Monday, and get this............he's not charging me.  Of course I will pay him but he didn't want payment.  This guy is an angel sent from heaven.   I can't wait to get started. 

I'm sure that all just bored the heck out of you, but for me, and the thought of having a day or a life without back pain, well, that is life changing. 

Anyway, I started my exercises last night, did the muscle stim and I'm ready to kick all your butts at the challenge.  I still put in a 12 hour day yesterday, but was so psyched at all my good news I put the bike on the trainer at 9pm and rode until bed time.   It was a great way to end a very good day.  Amazing how things work out sometimes. 

Have a super day.  Oh ya..........it's Latte Friday baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!


No comments: